Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprouting broccoli seedlings flowering

Hi all,

I noticed yesterday that some of my green sprouting broccoli plants (Apollo?) have formed flower heads. They're only a foot tall and still in their pots ready to plant out! Are they done for? Is there any point planting them out now, or should i sow some more and hope they get big enough to survive the winter?

Thanks.
    He-Pep!

I'm sorry I can't help you with this - but I am eager to see the replies.

I have the same problem every year with broccoli, although this year is looking good

(I've probably gave them the 'kiss of death' by making that that last statement)
    .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Is this your broccoli - a hybrid between broccoli and kale? Broccoli 'Brokali Apollo' F1 Hybrid (Calabrese, Chinese Kale) - Brassica & Leafy Green Seeds - Thompson & Morgan

Comment

Yes that's the one.
        He-Pep!

Comment

Ah, reading the info there it looks like its more of a calabrese than a sprouting broccoli - so it's maybe normal for the heads to start forming now? As it was called 'green sprouting broccoli' when i bought it, i assumed it would behave like purple sprouting broccoli...
          He-Pep!

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
            As it was called 'green sprouting broccoli' when i bought it
            Ah yes, that's marketing for you.

Most people, who shop in supermarkets, think that calabrese is called broccoli, hence the confusion.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Ah well, that's great - my plants haven't 'bolted' and i get to enjoy them this autumn, hopefully!
              He-Pep!

Comment

I do like a Happy Ending

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X