Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Runner beans coming up with no leaves ..

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runner beans coming up with no leaves ..

I planted six chitted runner beans out a couple of weeks ago and the first of them has emerged from the ground with a stalk with no leaves - well, raggedy black apologies for leaves. The eight chitted beans I put into pots and have been hardening off are doing great, and I have just planted them today. Decided to dig up one of the other beans I planted direct - and that has good roots (although not as good as the potted on ones) but the stem is teaming with little creamy white grubs and the end where the leaves should be looks eaten through and rotten. There are also a few grubs in the main body of the bean.

I suspect the remaining four I planted direct will be similarly affected. Should I dig them up too, see what state they are in? Having dug up one of them, is there anything I can do to kill the pesky grubs and then maybe pot it on in fresh compost and try to save it?

And, what about the ones I plated today - are they likely to be attacked by the grubs?

Help!

Soooz

A pic of the pest concerned would help answer your question.

Potty
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Hi Potty - unfortunately photo not possible as I have no zoom on my phone camera. The grubs are about 0.5 mm thick and about 8mm long. Off-white with one blackish end which I assume is the head. I put the bean I dug up in a container of water and about a dozen of them have come out and drowned. Going to leave it in the water a bit longer and then pot on into fresh compost and see what happens.

Soooz

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X