french beans (cobra)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• french beans (cobra)

my french beans are only a foot tall and are flowering, will i get any beans or should i plant some more quick just in case?

Cobra are a climbing bean and normally produce a good crop.

Where are you growing them? (pots or open ground). It's a bit unusual for them to start flowering at that height - sounds as if they may have been a bit stressed.

Are they showing any signs of climbing their supports?

Comment

The only problem with Cobra is that they grow too much, too fast and make too many beans They are great. You could chance a few more sowings but try find out what the problem is with these as rustylady says. They should be flying at this time of year. Are they planted outside? When did you sow them?

Comment

they r planted in open ground, i think they could have got cold the bottomleaves are yellow although i didnt plant them until after the last frost (cant remember date coz have left my diary in my shed!) They did really well last year. Someone has also told me i shouldnt have planted sweetpeas with them as bees dont really like bean flowers and will go to the others instead-is this true... i hardly ever see anyone on the site to ask advice i think i go at a different time to everyone else!

Comment

The bit about the sweet peas is rubbish, although I hope you have left enough room for them and your beans.

I think most people's beans have been struggling this year - even if there's been no frost it's been very cool and wet.

Mine have only just started climbing their canes.

Comment

Climbing Blue Lake with yellowing leaves

Hiya
            We planted some Climbing Blue Lake seedlings up a cane wigmam on 4 June. They looked healthy when they went in. Within days the lower leaves turned yellow, and even though they are growing up the canes the new leaves appear to be yellowing between the veins. Any ideas? I have read about using Epsom salts on the leaves. Could this harm them?

Any advice welcome.

Comment

No, that'll treat the Mg deficiency.

Edit: are the veins yellow? Are they on the ground or pots?
              Last edited by chris; 25-06-2013, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Sue I think that you'll find the beans improve their colour when the weather warms up and the sun comes out.

Did you harden them off before planting out? If not then it's the shock of being out in the cold hard world that has set them back a bit.
                Last edited by rustylady; 25-06-2013, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Have now checked the diary, I planted them out 6th June but have stuck a few more in today so keeping fingers crossed. I think it was my fault as my Corona D'Ora and Violetta are both the same although these are not flowering yet.

Comment

Hi Chris

Thanks for getting back to me.
                    Yes they are in the ground and no, the veins are green.

Comment

Hi Rusty

Yes I did harden them off first and other beans elsewhere on the lottie seem ok.

Comment

Hi Rusty
                        Just to let you know, the beans are greening up and flowering too. Thanks for the advice.
                        Sue x

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X