Thieving Rat ruining Courgettes!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thieving Rat ruining Courgettes!

I have been battling the slugs for weeks and now this - I assume this is rat damage?

Any tips for protecting the fruits? The round one was nibbled whilst we were out this morning (was ok first thing) and the other one was nibbled last night. I was looking forward to courgettes.
    Attached Files
    While wearing your night clothes, plant cucumbers on the 1st May before the sun comes up, and they will not be attacked by bugs.

Having searched the forum and putting 2 and 2 together.... it could be a two legged rat. My neighbour was telling me she had a squirrel about to come through her kitchen window the other day and I have seen a few knocking about up to mischief.

Trouble is the plot is a long way from the house. I might have to fashion some form of netting barrier...hmmmm
    While wearing your night clothes, plant cucumbers on the 1st May before the sun comes up, and they will not be attacked by bugs.

Comment

Yes, could well be a squirrel, probably thought it had found the biggest nut it had ever seen!

BTW the squirrels round here have four legs....
      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
      Endless wonder.

Comment

ok, 4 legs. The front ones look more like hands don't they!

Comment

Are there teeth marks? You'd be surprised how much damage a hungry snail can do.

Comment

Looking closely at the pictures, I think Wendy is correct in thinking snails. In my mouse experience you get a much more definite bite pattern.
            "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Was my first thought too..looks exactly like one the buggers ate on me last year.. not that I still have it
              I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
              sigpic

Comment

Net the crop.

If they still get eaten, it's likely to be snails (although I'd be surprised if a snail did that much damage in one night, really surprised.)
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

They travel in packs. It's like wolves on a vulnerable deer calf!
                  "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Whatever is responsible has so far managed to evade being caught in the act. I have been routinely dispatching slugs and have not seen any large raspy mouthed specimens. Well, until this evening, I could not believe the size of the gob on one of them. However, this was a considerable distance from the courgette plants (and it is now an ex slug along with it's compadre).

I will construct some form of net defense and step up patrols!

Comment

Bad luck with your courgettes it's a real nuisance when you've been looking forward to something only to find you've been beaten to it.

If you suspect rats, mint apparently is a deterrent. Chilli is supposed to deter squirrels.
                      Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

I too suspect snails / slugs as there would be much more defined tooth marks with rodents.I would reccomend little blue pellets but i've used loads this year and haven't hit a single slug yet
                        don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                        remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

I have been using beer traps and egg shell and have been responsible for countless slugicides on a daily basis.

I was thinking about coffee grounds.

Interesting about the mint and chilli. I have both, are you able to offer any further info on how these work? Do I fire chillis at them with a catapult?

Thanks for the replies.
                          Last edited by daviddevantnhisspiritwife; 17-06-2013, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Last year squirrels were caught in the act on our lottie site,at the back of us,
                            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by lainey lou View Post

If you suspect rats, mint apparently is a deterrent.
                              I'd been told that mint repels rodents, specifically mice.

Well, my mice ate a four-pack of Polos in the garage, so it's a myth
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X