Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sprouting Broccoli - can it be grown indoors?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprouting Broccoli - can it be grown indoors?

Hello everyone, just joined but have read on and off over the last couple of years

Just wondered if sprouting (purple/white/green) broccoli could be grown indoors? I live in a flat and successfully grow all kinds of veg indoors every year, but would love to tackle some sprouting broccoli. Does it need the frost to help it sprout spears? How big does a plant grow? I have heard that WHITE sprouting broccoli is a smaller plant, so perhaps more feasable? Anyone had success with these as indoor plants?

Thanks all, in advance

Not tried but it's pretty big, couple of feet (maybe that was just mine!) you have to stake it as well I find. When you say indoors do you have a grow light or are you growing on the windowsill?
    Gill

So long and thanks for all the fish.........

I have a blog http://areafortyone.blogspot.co.uk

I'd rather be a comma than a full stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Piggle View Post
      Not tried but it's pretty big, couple of feet (maybe that was just mine!) you have to stake it as well I find. When you say indoors do you have a grow light or are you growing on the windowsill?
      Most of my stuff is grown on the windowsill, but have been wondering about grow lights ever since I saw what they do to salad leaves! So that may be my next purchase - would they be good for any indoor sprouting broccoli?

Comment

I think you'd struggle inside, they're a long term plant that gets big, mine are usually about 3.5' tall by the time I'm harvesting and they are in the ground from summer until springtime so quite a commitment. Have grown the white stuff in the past and to be honest I can't say that I've noticed the plants being any smaller. Sorry I can't be more positive.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

In my opinion the answer would be no unless you got a major set up.

My PSB grows in standard dustbins, it stands about 2 to 3 feet above the soil level and is about the same across. Also I think you would need more than one plant.

Colin
          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Just as I thought, Colin. Thanks all anyway

Comment

Like the other peeps say, it can get very big. It also has a long growing season, so it'll be in your way for a long time!

Shame, as it is a brilliant and striking plant to grow.

Would love to see some pics of your veg grown indoors.
              Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                In my opinion the answer would be no unless you got a major set up.

My PSB grows in standard dustbins, it stands about 2 to 3 feet above the soil level and is about the same across. Also I think you would need more than one plant.

Colin
                Whilst I'd agree with everything else you've said I'm not at all sure why you'd need more than one plant except for yield issues.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Alison exactly, I grow 5 plants and like to be able to walk along the row and take mature heads from all of the plants. That way I get lots of PSB on my plate.

Potty
                  Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

As it flowers late winter early spring i would of though it needs that cold spell.may be to warm indoors as all ready said it can grow to a 1mt tall .so i wouls say not one for the indoors
                    come on in take a seat time for tea

Comment

I would say that you probably wouldn't get very good results unless u used supplementary light. There isn't enough light indoors to grow any crop from start to finish.

An added difficulty would be that plants use one type of light for vegetative growth and a slightly different type for seed production so you might even need 2 sets of lighting rigs.

There's no harm in trying though. Would be interested to see what happens.
                      The more help a man has in his garden, the less it belongs to him.
                      William M. Davies

Comment

I don't even grow it outside as it's a PITA - with all the bugs it attracts.

Comment

Not a real broccoli but might be worth a try:

RAPINI (BROCCOLI RAAB)

Vegetable Seeds: Broccoli or Calabrese, & Rapini

Only grows to about 1 ft tall and ready to harvest a lot quicker than sprouting broccoli (50-60 days)
                          http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X