Inherited Raspberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inherited Raspberries

I've taken on a plot which already had some bits and pieces growing on it. I'm pretty sure that I've got rapsberry canes growing along the side of the plot, but I don't know what sort or when they last fruited.

They are free standing at the mo, but I plan to put some posts and wires in to support them as it's a relatively windy site.

Has anyone got advice re pruning? At present they are about 5ft tall with some leaves on. They haven't really got any side shoots.
    Your brain gets smart, but your head gets dumb

If they are just tall single canes I would leave them alone until after next Summer. Sounds to me as if they could be summer fruiting raspberries, in which case the canes you have will produce sideshoots and fruit next Summer.

Comment

Each clump should have no more than 8 stems so keep the best and cut out any surplus. Other than that, cut out any dead canes and Bob will beyour mum or dad's brother

Comment

Bend the canes to see if they flex like a whip(live) or snap(dead-old). Remove dead wood. Watch for suckers coming up in the Spring and then go from there with your trellising plans.
        Last edited by Dusty Rhodes; 16-11-2012, 05:14 PM.
        The love of gardening is a seed once sown that never dies.

Gertrude Jekyll

************NUTTERS' CLUB MEMBER************

The Mad Hatter: Have I gone mad?
        Alice Kingsley: I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll
        tell you a secret. All the best people are.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X