growing chillies under lights

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• growing chillies under lights

I was in the garage yesterday having a clear up. And I eventually found my cfl grow lamp (blue spectrum).

I then took it in the house to check it all works etc, and it is fine - although I need to buy a new electronic timer for it.

Anyway, I am intending on starting my chillies under lights mid January some time.

But I was wondering how long I should have the lamp on each day?

As if they receive too much light then I suppose they could start flowering? Which of course I do not want.

Maybe 12 hours a day for January, 13 for Feb and 14 for March?

April time I will put them into greenhouse.

Any thoughts welcomed.

Thank you

I grew lot's of Chilli's under a lamp last year and they all did exceedingly well under it.

I left the lamp on for around 12 hours a day and they thrived.

I didn't put them in the green house until May because it was still a little cold but they were quite happy on a window ledge.

Hope this helps.

Comment

ok great, and did you have any problems with the plants flowering very early under the lights?

Comment

i shall be germinating seed then transferring to a couple grow gardens this time round, i have loads to bring on as have secured a rent on a ploytunnel but will be bringing the seedlings on under lights and normally work on switching on when i get up to go downstairs and turn off when i go to bed and it worked fine. i will have no issue with flowering as when seedlings grow to around 3-4 inches will be transfering to a greenhouse which will have multi layers of fleece and bubblewrap at night and a couple heaters

Comment

The only one I had issue with flowering early was a Demon Red plant but that is always quick to flower anyway. I didn't have any issues with my other plants.

Comment

ok magic.

THank you

Comment

Flowering isn't that much of a problem anyway. Some of mine flowered and set fruit under the lights (no natural light at all), even though I didn't hand pollinate. Some chillies, like lemon drop, are very good at this. My chocolate habanero doesn't usually set the fruit, but scotch bonnets do, and I got some hot bananas as well. The fruit was still typical heat and flavour of the appropriate variety. My plants on my bedroom windowsill (south facing) are now 3 years old. They have never been outside and have produced fruit all summer and are still flowering and setting fruit now. They did look a little tired in the spring, but repotting and feeding just as you would any houseplant gave them the boost they needed.
              I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
              Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X