Pruning Apples, Pears and Plums

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pruning Apples, Pears and Plums

When is the best time for these to be pruned? We're going to be getting a professional in (mainly due to the height of the trees) but I want to know when to be booking them in etc.

"Booking them in" ? ! ? ! ?

Apples and Pears - midwinter. Plums - midsummer. Ooooodles of info here and other sites. Save your cash, follow the instructions carefully and have a go yourself.

If you still feel you don't care to, see if there is an horticultural college nearby and the tutor could instruct the students and get youyr trees pruned possibly for free.

Cheers, Tony.
    Last edited by Kleftiwallah; 24-09-2012, 11:41 AM. Reason: Addendum.
    Semper in Excrementem Altitvdo Solvs Varivs.

Comment

Yup, the trees are nearly as tall as the house, and we don't have the skill, or the ladders, to be able to properly prune and top them ourselves...so we need to 'get someone in' - especially as we need the other 5 or 6 non-fruit trees done as well...

Good idea re horticultural college - we have a large one near us, so I will get into contact with them!

Comment

Yes, pruning of mature standard trees is probably best left to the experts. This is a good reason for favouring semi-vigorous trees rather than standard (vigorous full height) trees. They might not look as pretty but they are far more practical.

Comment

Originally posted by OverWyreGrower View Post
          Yup, the trees are nearly as tall as the house, and we don't have the skill, or the ladders, to be able to properly prune and top them ourselves...so we need to 'get someone in' - especially as we need the other 5 or 6 non-fruit trees done as well...

Good idea re horticultural college - we have a large one near us, so I will get into contact with them!
          It would have been better to prune little and often in order to keep them small. You wouldn't leave your lawn or front garden hedge for ten years before trimming and fruit trees are no different.

Prune big apple and pear trees in winter and prune plums and cherry trees in summer.
          However, pruning is best done over about three seasons, taking not more than one-third of the canopy each season - otherwise the tree can suffer shock, die, stop fruiting, send up lots of root suckers from the underground roots near the trunk, or start growing very strongly in response.
          None of which are desirable, and some of which will end up with the tree looking very ugly.

Which goes back to the start of what I said: prune a little on a regular basis to keep trees under control and to prevent complications arising from heavy pruning after years of neglect.

Comment

Originally posted by orangepippin View Post
            Yes, pruning of mature standard trees is probably best left to the experts. This is a good reason for favouring semi-vigorous trees rather than standard (vigorous full height) trees. They might not look as pretty but they are far more practical.
            Dwarf rootstocks aren't an excuse not to take care of the plants with regular pruning as the dwarfs need good growing conditions and don't cope well with neglect in many cases.
            Apple trees on vigorous rootstocks are no faster growing than hazel hedges, wild own-root roses or other bush-type plants. My currant bushes and hazels grow as fast as vigorous-rootstocked apple trees.

Comment

Our problem is that we inherited the trees pretty much at that height (only been there 5 years)... we've always done what we can with them, but our ladders just don't reach that high anymore...

I plan to just ask them for a 'light' prune - the height isn't an issue as they are far away from the house, so not shading the windows etc...

The shame is that they were planted so close together in the first place... I'd like to plant a couple more at better distances.

Comment

Originally posted by FB. View Post
                Dwarf rootstocks aren't an excuse not to take care of the plants with regular pruning as the dwarfs need good growing conditions and don't cope well with neglect in many cases.
                Apple trees on vigorous rootstocks are no faster growing than hazel hedges, wild own-root roses or other bush-type plants. My currant bushes and hazels grow as fast as vigorous-rootstocked apple trees.
                I was referring to the eventual size of the tree. Trees on vigorous rootstocks eventually become very large, which makes pruning and maintenance more difficult, and, as in this case, you will probably have to resort to bringing in professionals with the necessary equipment. Semi-vigorous trees are far easier to look after, since most tasks can be carried out from ground level.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X