Advice Please re Winter Squashes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Please re Winter Squashes

I'm thinking about 'what squash to plant where', and I was hoping for some advice please....
    I have Crown Prince, Buttercup, Uchiki Kuri (?) and Baby Bear that need homes within my Potager. The Butternuts and Sweet Dumplings are 'sorted' already.

I have a very well manured long/thin bed, where I can grow up wooden posts and then along ropes strung from post to post, and also loads of room to grow sprawling at ground level.

My other site would consist of very large plastic tubs, with or without a metal Obelisk to train the squash upwards and again, along ropes, or just trailing, and can be filled with well-rotted and good quality compost.

Having never grown CP, BC, UK or BB before, I'm not sure what growth habit or vigour to expect, and hence my planting dilemma...
    Could you enlighten me further to assist me please?

Hi Wellie,

I've grown Uchiki kuri ( red kuri ) before, they can reach to 2 to 3 meters. Each vine could produce 3 to 5 pumpkins, weight +/- 2 kg each.
    You could let the vines climb but I think the result will be better if you let it at ground level ( somehow the weight of the fruit will damage the vines ). watch out for slugs they damage the young fruit. I have no idea about the other type you have, hopefully other grapes came along to share their experience. Happy planting...

Momol
    I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Crown prince can be rampant Wellie and no way can you realistically train them up as the fruits get up to 6-7Kg each unless you know somebody with 36zz bras. They will give you between 3-7 fruit off each,

Comment

I grew Crown Prince once. I let it romp away and it covered a lot of ground - I pegged it in circles for a while but then it produced loads of off-shoots! The fruits are very large and extremely heavy, so I think you would struggle to make it climb. I got two large squashes in the end.

Comment

Thanks peeps. Crown Prince has a site to ramble to its hearts content, and the one you gave me Piggy, weighs in at 9.25kg, as opposed to the Turks Turban I grew with a weight of 6.5kg, which I grew upwards, so point suitably taken....
          Your comments came too late to my posting for advice on the Buttercup and Uchiki Kuri though I'm afraid, as I had to make 'an executive decision' sooner. Baby Bear will grow upwards, whether it wants to or not!
          Will take photos of results later in the season....
          Thank you muchly.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X