Asparagus

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asparagus

I planted my asparagus 1 year old crowns last month, spreading the roots along a ridge of soil and leaving only the buds of the crowns exposed.

These buds are now growing (very slowly in the cold and wet). Am I supposed to cover these buds completely with a couple of inches of soil or slowly cover them as they hopefully continue to grow?

Whereabouts are you Binco? I think you've planted your asparagus too shallow, so you will need to construct a "raised bed" round them. You can then gradually add soil as the spears grow. At the end of the year when the ferns have died back cut them to ground level and topdress the bed with compost.

Comment

County Durham.

The ridge of soil was blow ground level so only the buds of the crowns are showing

Comment

Could you add your location to your profile please, then it will show up on your posts. You'll still need to add soil / compost - asparagus growing guide here BBC - Gardening - Gardening Guides - Techniques - Growing asparagus

Comment

I also planted 1 year old crowns at the beginning of April, but covered the crowns and buds completely with soil. They are still in a slight trench, but as I understand it the idea is to add soil gradually although I have to say I am not really sure either about when to start doing this.

One thing that has surprised me a bit is that all are now growing spears, but out of 11 crowns, 9 only have 1 spear (the others have 2 & 3). Is this normal or should I be expecting more?

Comment

That's fine PMW, you will probably get more later this year and the crowns increase in size every year.

Comment

I planted my crowns around late May last year, in a trench as recommended, but covered them right over with soil to the top - although they're still quite shallow. I added a layer of compost earlier this year before any sign of growth appeared, and they've been ignored since then. Most of them now have one large spear growing - one of them is huge and beginning to look like a small tree! I didn't realise I was supposed to add the compost gradually, but it doesn't seem to have done any harm so far... am I supposed to add more compost eg after the ferns are cut down in the autumn? Or will it fend for itself now?
              sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

i planted mine back in march and dont seem to have any growth and mine are year old crowns

Comment

Don't panic folks. Young plants take a while to come up. 1st year you'll probably get a few spears up each. make sure the asparagus beetle don't strip them...They can kill young plants

Planting is normally in a trench in free draining loam; or on a ridge with heavier soils. When planting cover with 2" of soil initially, you might add 2" more when in fern then 3 or 4" of muck in the autumn, when you cut them down, this will break up and settle over the winter. This will mean that you crowns will end up approx 6" down.

Mulch each Autumn, as you don't want clods of manure for the spears to push through/slugs hide in during spring. Seaweed also an excellent summer mulch. When established, salting beds 1oz per sq yard helps with slugs and weeds.
                  Last edited by Paulottie; 15-05-2012, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X