rhubarb

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rhubarb

I have read somewhere if you boil the leaves off rhubarb, its good to keep aphids off your veg's growing in the allotment.Anyone know if this is true?
    Last edited by Kikijudy; 03-04-2012, 12:03 PM. Reason: needed to edit

The old boys used to do this with a few dog ends added. I don't know if it works, never tried it and it's supposed to be illegal now!!!!!
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

ive also heard of this, but ive never tried it!

Comment

Rhubarb leaves contain oxalic acid: highly poisonous.
        Last edited by Madasafish; 04-04-2012, 10:31 AM.

Comment

I understand that the only reason aphids/cabbage white butterfly stay away is because of the smell. It does work and I understand that the amount oxalic acid in rhubarb leaves is so small, it will only cause problems if you drink a substantial quantity of the stuff in a concentrated form. (It makes a mess of your kidneys)
          No need to boil, just get a lidded dustbin, 3 parts fill it with water and add about a dozen leaves. Leave it for a month to fester happily away and water down the pungent slop 10 to 1. I would also suggest not spraying it a month before harvest. (Smell again)
          Always have a bucket close to hand in case you need to throw up. It's probably the worst smell you'll ever encounter
          http://norm-foodforthought.blogspot.com/

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and if you ain't going to eat it, don't kill it

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X