Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rosecurrants

Hola,

First visit & post. We've moved house and have a back garden which is long but narrow. Against the West facing fence we were thinking of planting some soft berries in tubs. We were looking at Rosecurrants (Rosa Sport) for a tub, anyone with any advice - do & don'ts.
    Thanks in advance.

I've never heard of them before! They look like a cross between a redcurrant and a whitecurrant. Why do you want to plant in a tub, rather than into the soil?
    Oh, and Welcome to the Vine!!

Comment

I want one of these but in the catalogues they are twice the price of a standard currant. I have never seen them in a nursery/garden centre.
      I would plant direct.
      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

If you have a fence you could train a variety of fruit bushes along it and produce a kind of 'food hedge'

I assume there is some soil at the foot of the fence for you to plant into.

Comment

My allotment neighbour has 'pinkcurrants' on his plot. They're pretty old bushes now, they were on the plot when he took it on. They're as beautiful as they look in the photographs, and really lovely to eat. Just as prolific as a good redcurrant too. I've tried to root some cuttings, but won't know if they've 'taken' for a while yet.

If you want to grow a currant in a pot, it will need to be a fairly large pot! And it would be best to use topsoil to plant in, rather than compost. Perhaps topsoil mixed with John Innes No. 3. And make sure it's kept moist and nourished through the cropping season with a good mulch in the spring.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. The reason for planting into tubs is that our soil is v v v heavy clay & the garden design I have formulated prefers tub planting. I'm making my own wooden "troughs" so they'll be deep enough. I'm assuming I can treat them like Blackberries & following the guide on this site your advice re soil type Sarz looks spot on.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X