No announcement yet.

What Do I Do With My Runner Beans Now??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Do I Do With My Runner Beans Now??

Hi guys, me again! I have grown some runner beans in trays but what do i do now? When do I transplant them? Then what do I do with them? Do I need to have them climbing up anything?

I would think it was far too early to sow them which is not much help to you!! They will need to grow up something but I would worry about them out side this time of year. I'm not being very helpful here!!

Comment

Hi Chicky, I usually start my runner beans in toilet roll tubes indoors. They have quite deep roots and are better in deep pots or tubes than in seed trays. Trouble is if you leave them in trays until they are ready to plant out the roots will get tangled and when you do transplant they may get broken and give the plants a real setback. You can plant them out in the open when there is no further risk of frost - down in the Southwest that should be fairly soon. They will need something to grow up - they get to around 6 or 7 feet tall (unless they are a dwarf type). You can make bamboo wigwams, six or seven long bamboo canes put in the ground in a circle and tied together at the top. The beans will happily grow up these (they climb by twining round the support). Some allotments have a "proper" bean frame. Bit like the frame of a football goal, with either netting fixed to it or wires running from top to bottom.

Comment

Thanks guys,not sure what to do now. Will probably have to move them into pots or something and hope they survive!!

Comment

can you pant them out & put some fleece round them ? that will help it depends when your last frost is really.
          ntg
          Never be afraid to try something new.
          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
          ==================================================

Comment

Hello Chicky, with beans late is good. The problem is they are fast growing and they can't stand frost. Last frost could be sometime in May.
            Right now , you have two choices. Having started your beans, you can nurse them. They need to go into something deep rooted with something to climb on, and be protected from cold. You could plant them in the ground, with a climbing frame, or in a big container, with canes made into a wigwam, and wrap them up in fleece at night. This will probably be successful for you and you will get beans 2 or 3 weeks ahead of time. (Been there, done that). Or, you can scrap the lot and plant your beans at the end of the month and save all the weather worries. It's up to you.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X