Fennel canes as pea sticks?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fennel canes as pea sticks?

Three years ago, I planted bronze fennel in my small herb area, and in its second year, it took off, sending shoots up to 7' or so. I've just cut it down to ground level, to shoot up again next year (I hope), and realised that the canes are pretty stiff and strong, so I removed all the side-shoots and cut off the thinner top part, to end up with a number of stiff canes, 4'-5' long, which look just like bamboo, except that they're dark green. I've put them under cover to dry out, and will use them next year as supports for peas or other suitable plants. has anyone else tried this?
    Tour of my back garden mini-orchard.

Wha a good idea. I cut all mine down but they're taking an age to compost. Mine were like bamboo. You have certainly given me an idea but sadly not until next year now!
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I cut mine down to dry the seeds but they have become a quite brittle....so might be worth checking that!

Comment

I've tried it before, and with different stems, but they always go brittle and snap. The worst idea I had was old raspberry canes as pea sticks: they rooted
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          I've tried it before, and with different stems, but they always go brittle and snap. The worst idea I had was old raspberry canes as pea sticks: they rooted
          ..................and the pea moth got your peas but you got a luvverley crop of rasps!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I've tried sunflowers and jerusalem artichokes, but as TS says, once they have dried out they snap very easily - not woody enough I suppose.
            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
            Endless wonder.

Comment

Had a similar experience with willow branches as bean sticks-nearly everyone rooted, you can imagine the ribbing I got from the rest of the lads!
              "... discipline is what the world needs today and etiquette, you know. For one of the noblest things a man can do is to do the best he can, yeah ..."

Prince Far I (1944-1983)

Comment

I have used fennel, and Jerusalem artichoke stems alternated with canes on my climbing French bean wigwams. As notes above the fennel/artichoke stems are a bit brittle but used in conjunction with canes are OK. The beans certainly climb them more readily than the smooth surface of the canes.

Comment

Originally posted by alex-adam View Post
                  I have used fennel, and Jerusalem artichoke stems alternated with canes on my climbing French bean wigwams. As notes above the fennel/artichoke stems are a bit brittle but used in conjunction with canes are OK. The beans certainly climb them more readily than the smooth surface of the canes.
                  I shall try that - I do have difficulty starting off climbers on canes because of their smoothness - may use them to help the sweet peas along too. Thanks very much
                  Wars against nations are fought to change maps; wars against poverty are fought to map change – Muhammad Ali

Comment

Tee hee!
                    Tour of my back garden mini-orchard.

Comment

Originally posted by grannymem View Post
                      I do have difficulty starting off climbers on canes because of their smoothness
                      Canes get grippier after a few seasons outside; you could also try winding string around the cane, that gives the climber something to grip on. Having said that, peas are clingers not climbers so do better up netting anyway
                      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 25-11-2011, 04:51 PM.
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Yep - I use netting against the fences and they do well but I quite like to make wigwams too and that's when I've used canes. I'll take your advice on winding the string around the canes next year - thanks for the tip x
                        Wars against nations are fought to change maps; wars against poverty are fought to map change – Muhammad Ali

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X