Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotty apples and deflated pears

Hi there.
    My apples haven't fruited the best this year and haven't done great other years, I have three. very old bramleys, one cox sort, and two golden delicious sort. I've not got a clue how to prune, or even if I should and every year the golden delicious have black spotty dimples. Also I have two pear trees which produce pears which resemble deflated balloons. I live in a very rural location with loads of flowers and pollinaters. Ok so whats going on? Any ideas?

Spotty apples could be bitter pit - a calcium deficiency usually caused by a lack of water or irregular water supply. What's your soil type?
    come visit a garden
    or read about mine www.suburbanvegplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Acidic as far as I can make out. Camilias and pine everywhere. They are watered via the rain and borehole. Will it recover?

Comment

If it is bitter pit (info here to confirm) then it should recover if you can sort the water issue out - do you have thin or sandy soil? are there other trees/shrubs that could be outcompeting your apple trees for groundwater? Usually a good mulch over winter and regular additional waterings will improve the fruit.
        come visit a garden
        or read about mine www.suburbanvegplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

That's exactly what I've got on a couple of my trees.
          Frustrating isn't it- hot, dry Spring ( yipee!!) , leading to bitter pit apples ( boo!)
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X