Pesto: alternative to pine nuts?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pesto: alternative to pine nuts?

I have loads of basil that I was going to use to make pesto. However, I don't have any pine nuts and the ones I have found seem really expensive. Any suggestions for alternatives?

Ta

Peanuts? Just scoffed a handful myself, that's why I thought about them. I guess many other nuts would suffice too.
    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

They are a bit pricey this year arent they?
      I have made a different pesto with walnuts before, so it would probably work with basil, it will just have a slightly different flavour - hope that helps

Comment

Yes I nearly fell over when I saw the price of pine nuts! £7 for a bag! You can make pesto with any nuts - walnuts and hazelnuts are the ones I have seen the telly chefs use. I reckon slighly toasted almonds would be nice too.
        Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Do you think pecans will do? I have some of them. I also have some almonds, so will try them. I'll leave peanuts as its the one nut I don't like, but thank you for the suggestion.

Comment

I've used sunflower seeds, when there was nothing else around. Tasted fine, not quite as nice as pine nuts, but perfectly fine. Other nuts will work well, but pecans might have a stronger taste. I've used an almond/sunflower seed 50/50 mix before - nice, and pretty close to a 'normal' pesto really.
            I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

To be honest the important bits of a pesto are the basil and oil and cheese! The nuts add depth. Maybe an excuse to use a drop of retsina/ ouzo!
              Last edited by Jeanied; 29-07-2011, 08:57 PM.
              Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

How do you store it?

Loving my allotment!

Comment

In the fridge. When you have taken what you need, just add a bit more oil to the top of the jar to keep the air out.
                  Fantasy reminds us that the soul is sane but the universe is wild and full of marvels

http://thefrontyardblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'd use walnuts. Especially useful when the local council have walnut trees planted in clumps here and there and no-one seems to collect them but us!
                    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X