the staying power of the mysterious blue pumpkin

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the staying power of the mysterious blue pumpkin

I have no idea what type this is, bought one at a farmers market a few years ago. This one was grown last year, and this is what it looks like today....

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...-photo0605.jpg

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...-photo0606.jpg

no idea of the name - crown something maybe- but it looks like the kind of pumpkins we have in the supermarkets back home in NZ.

I didn't see an orange pumpkin for years growing up, those were just for halloween decorating, but these are delicious, especially roasted in slices with the skin left on.

that said, I don't think I've ever seen one last that long! It is quite an acheivement!

edit to say that, just out of my own curiousity, I googled 'crown pumpkin' - and so many of the websites are kiwi ones. Weird. But yes, crown or crown prince is a blue-grey pumpkin (although there are lots!)
    Last edited by Kiwi_Soph; 17-07-2011, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Crown Prince innit?
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I'm growing "Blue Moon" this year from MoreVeg, hope they're as good as that one Taff, it's lovely. There's something very tactile about pumpkins for me.
        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Looks like Crown Prince to me too. Or, a similar one is Jarrahdale I think (I may have spelt it incorrectly).

CP tastes amazing though. They store incredible well too, even when they're cut into.

Comment

Crown Prince gets my vote too
            Last edited by 1066; 18-07-2011, 09:18 AM.
            http://promenadeplantings.wordpress.com/

Comment

I've got a couple of small winter squash, harvested back in Oct sometime and they are, and have been, sitting in my conservatory in all that time. They have been through frost and baking sun and they still look good. Probably taste rubbish mind

Comment

Crown Prince gets my vote too. One of the tastiest varieties

Comment

+Hmmm... I shall have to plant some more of them next year then and save some seed. Couldn't find the seed this year, but then I did and it was too late.

Comment

I'm hoping to save some seeds from my harvest this year as I've four different varieties.
                    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Looks like a crown prince to me. They last an unbelievable amount of time.

They're really tasty too. Almost nutty in flavour.
                      Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

Bumping post so I can show my squashes (you may end up seeing the greenhouse too as for some reason they appear to be linked. I'm obviously doing summat wrong)
                        Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X