Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florence Fennel

No, not Auntie Flo - the vegetable.
    I bought a packet of seeds from Wilkinsons yesterday (Couldn't resist the 75% reduction ) and it says on the back that you can sow it in July. Is it worth doing that up here or will it not get the chance to bulk up before my first frosts?
    Last edited by Sylvan; 05-07-2011, 08:28 AM. Reason: typo
    The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

At 75% cost of the normal cost, I would

I've sown some recently, as my ones before (sown early, I didn't look at the packet ) have become extremely leggy, and are yellowing off. Guess they didn't like the heat wave! Though, I probably should have watered them!!

Comment

Thanks Chris. I'll try to summon up the energy to get them sown this morning then, before all the promised rain arrives

Comment

I sowed some in July last year.

Obviously, they didn't make huge great fat bulbs... but that's only as would be expected, planting so late. They did make very acceptable thin bulbs though, and tasted very nice, roasted well, braised well and were especially nice slived and fried up with a lemony dressing over buttery mashed potato...

Comment

Thought you were calling for me Sylvan when I saw this! I've never grown it, I suppose I ought to try!
          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Aye, I thought you might think so Flo :-D

We've never actually tasted them bethduckie, but at that price it seemed like time to try.

Any special treatment?

Comment

They taste the same as fennel leaves, quite aniseedy. You can eat the stalks and leaves, same as with the herb.

We like it, but haven't bought it very often because it's a bit expensive. There isn't much to eat on one bulb, but it's quite a strong flavour, so you don't need much. It's nice with fish.

We've tried growing it for the first time this year. Sowed 10 seeds, only 3 germinated - this was in March, and they took almost 3 weeks. Could have been because of the weather.

The plants are now about eighteen inches tall and beginning to bulb up. They're growing in a fairly shady 'salad' area down the side of our house.
              Last edited by endymion; 05-07-2011, 09:53 PM.

Comment

it bolts more easily if it's sown early. I've only just sown mine in the last week or two, probably a few weeks late but never mind, if it bulbs and doesn't bolt, I'll be happy

Comment

Every time i have tried to grow FF they put on too much top and dont bulb up.. But you can eat the stems.. i just chopped it all up and put in the winter stew packs in the freezer.
                  Roger
                  Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

I find it really easy to grow and use it roasted and in tom ketchup ( a la Jamie Oliver), its really nice with fish

Comment

Mine are bolting nicely...might try another lot!
                      Gardening forever, housework whenever!

Comment

As it appears there is still time, I'm going to order a packet of seeds, or (and I know this is cheeky) has anyone got a few they could let me have please? Anyone know how it would fare in a container? I am the only one who likes it, so it would be a change to grow something just for me.

Comment

FF.. i have just sown a trayful of FF.. if they take you are welcome to half of them.. the seeds are a few year old though so dont dold your breath.
                          Roger
                          Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

That's kind Roger, thank you.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...