Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what to do with unfertilized courgettes?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to do with unfertilized courgettes?

In another thread I mentioned how I think my Gold Rush courgette should be called Carrie Bradshaw because she has lots of girlfriends (girl courgettes) but just cannot get a man to open up (the boy buds). I didn't want to keep hijacking that thread so thought I would ask for advice in a new one - basically just wondering what I can do?

I am guessing I just have to be patient and wait for a good man to arrive but in the meantime what should I do with the girls that have blossomed? Write them off and watch them turn brown or can I pick them early and at least eat the flowers? And if I do that do I just eat the flower or can I have the yellow bit too?

the biggest one looks like this at the moment:
    Attached Files

One recipe here Stuffed courgette flowers recipe | Recipes - Times Online Loads more if you google

Comment

They're fine eaten tiny - I have the same variety and all the girl ones appeared first way before the boys turned up. I just kept taking the small ones (10cm-ish) to have chopped up in stir fries. I'd love to use the flowers, but they always seem to be full of little black crawlies...
      come visit a garden
      or read about mine www.suburbanvegplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by perkin View Post
        They're fine eaten tiny - I have the same variety and all the girl ones appeared first way before the boys turned up. I just kept taking the small ones (10cm-ish) to have chopped up in stir fries. I'd love to use the flowers, but they always seem to be full of little black crawlies...
        Probably pollen beetles, they love bright yellow. Poor grandson (spotty) was wearing a yellow teeshirt the other day and got covered in them

Comment

oh the poor love!

Good to know I can eat them. Stuffed courgette flowers are something I have always wanted to try but at the moment we just have the one so I might eat the lot for lunch. Lovely!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X