Garlic

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garlic

Have I missed the boat to plant garlic for a harvest in the autumn?
    Didn't do it earlier as was not going to grow it but a rearrangement of the plot has left some space

Mike
    I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy

Although I have been growing some in pots over winter, I put the last few cloves into my lottie on Sunday. I know they need a bit of cold to help them along, so you never know! I thought it was worth a go anyway. Bernie aka Dexterdog
    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

I planted the last of my spring planting garlic out last wekend, so if you're quick you would probably get an OK crop, don't leave it too long though!
      Also - make sure you get a spring planting variety rather than an autumn one which usually requires vernalisation (period of cold).
      There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
      Happy Gardening!

Comment

Yep my gardening diary says it is still ok to plant out your garlic. I planted mine out a few weeks ago but was really suprised at how quickly they came up.

Comment

I suppose this is a silly question, but would putting the garlic cloves wrapped in paper in the freezer for a spell have the same effect as leaving them in the garden in sub zero temperatures ?
          I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by terrier View Post
            I suppose this is a silly question, but would putting the garlic cloves wrapped in paper in the freezer for a spell have the same effect as leaving them in the garden in sub zero temperatures ?
            Don't know for sure, but would be worth giving it a go, sort of 'experimental gardening'?? Do let us know, and as with any scientific experiment, keep notes for future reference. I was reading something today about tree seeds needing 'vernalisation' (ie cold temperatures) and that this could be achieved by keeping them in the fridge for a while, then warming up again before planting.

I would suggest that you do some for 12 hours (overnight) and see what happens.

Comment

Doesnt sound silly to me. Carol klein on GW tonight suggested doing similar to some perrenials. She suggested putting them into the fridge to simulate a long cold winter. The freezer may damage the seeds though.
              Im sure someone will have a more precise answer for you soon.

Comment

There is a very good vernilisation thread in the Growing Techniques board.
                [

Comment

get straight onto www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk - they will send by return.
                  i sowed last week, solent wight and lautrec wight - and the latter are already coming through.

Comment

Thanks Hilary, I've just looked at that site, it's fantastic.My mouth's watering already.
                    I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

I'm running a wee trial of my own on garlic. I planted some in November, and they're up there looking like Spartan soldiers. I planted some about 2 weeks ago. They're up and growing. Will be interesting to see what the difference is at the end of the day. Will report results.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X