Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First year rhubarb

Hi,

I put 2 crowns in the ground earlier this year and have let them be. They are quite large and I wondered if I could pull any or am I best to leave it until next year?

Cheers very much

Jo

You really would be better to leave it alone for this year.

Comment

leave them, you'll be repaid in a couple of years time

Comment

Most plants put the bulk of their energy into leaves during the summer and then (when leaves fall) send the energy and nutrients down to strengthen the roots in winter, for powering stronger growth the following year (soil remains warm and damp in autumn - ideal for root growth - at a time when it's too cold and dark for leaves to grow).

If you remove leaves in the summer, the roots (which is what really powers the plant by pulling up water and nutrients) will basically be back to where they were the previous winter and the plants overall strength will be little greater than when it was planted.
        For a similar reason, that's why you shouldn't remove too many leaves (stems) on young rhubarb.

That's also how summer pruning of fruit trees works to keep them dwarfed: it takes away all the effort that the plant put into growing those leaves before the leaves start sending the products of photosynthesis down to fuel stronger root growth in the autumn.

Comment

As I thought, I shall stand back, admire and not touch

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X