Are these cherries?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these cherries?

Found a whole load of trees on some waste land near our house t'other day. Some have white and some have pink blossom but they all have similar leaves. They look like cherries to me but I could be being hopelessly dense. There's absolutely loads of em.

They're all at different stages, some still with blossom, some with blossom gone but yet to set fruit and some with varying size berries. Our cherry on our plot(which has yet to provide us with anything) looks very similar but hasn't set fruit yet. Would appreciate some feedback from you expert foragers out there.
    Ta
    Attached Files

I'd say yes...but they may not be sweet cherries.
    We have a black cherry tree and another ( no idea of English name but it looks like a Morello) We put those in Calvados and the liquour is wonderful!!!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I think there's a black cherry on someone's front garden on our street. I assumed they were summat else but had a peek today and they looked similar. Thanks for the response - if they're not sweet then I suppose I'll just have to steep them in booze *sigh* oh well .....never mind
      ETA just looked it up deffo not a black cherry - the leaves are totally different.
      Last edited by Shadylane; 28-04-2011, 10:02 PM.

Comment

They're cherries of some sort but you won't know what kind until they ripen - could be sweet, sour or bird cherries (bitter, normally small fruited)
        Just wait until they ripen and try one - don't do anything with them if they're bitter as the bitterness is caused by cyanide! (one or two won't cause you any harm though)

Comment

Really? I thought the sour ones you could use to cook with or make into a flavoured liqueur?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X