Putting tomatoes and chillies out

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting tomatoes and chillies out

I am new to this gardening malarky, but I have bought myself a small plastic zip-up greenhouse thing and have some tomato, chilli and sweet pepper plants that have been growing happily on the windowsill for the last month or so. Just wondering when it would be ok to move them out into the greenhouse?
    Last edited by PMW; 19-04-2011, 06:04 PM.

I would say not just yet. The current warm weather is going to catch some of us out if a frost or two occurs over the next 3 or 4 weeks which it could well do. That said, i have just put some of mine in to the unheated greenhouse today. Maybe you could pot them on in to bigger pots planting them right down in to the compost?
    www.gyoblog.co.uk

Comment

Mine are doing well in an unheated gh, but it's a minimum of 10c
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

PMW - I've not got a whole lot in my blowaway greenhouse yet, the toms, chilis and so on are still indoors. Outdoors would be warm enough at the moment, but I'm the sort to not realise a cold night is on the way and lose the lot so I'm playing it safe.

One important tip though... they are known as "blowaway" greenhouses for a reason. Get some bricks on the bottom shelf to reduce the chances of disaster if the wind picks up.

Good luck!

Comment

I have had a few of my toms in an unheated lean-to greenhouse for about two weeks. I cover them with fleece at night. They are not as tall as those still in the windows, but are a darker green and look stronger. Those on the window sill are a bit spindly for my liking, so I'm puting the rest in the lean-to.
          If it looks like we are going to get a cold snap I may bring them back in.

For now the chillies are staying in door.
          Sometimes you just have to scratch that itch and get dirt under your finger nails.

Comment

Not here, not yet! Mine are in the unheated greenhouse all day but I bring them in at night. Last night it got down to 2 degree outside and 4 in the greenhouse. Althought this is unlikely to kill them it will seriously check their growth.
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I pop mine out in the day with it being nice and sunny, with a little breeze, but I bring them indoors around 7p.m. A little breeze will help them grow stronger stems, but cold/frost will harm or even kill them...it's not worth the risk to be honest.

Comment

Mine go out during the day, and are brought back in at night.

Comment

I too put them out in the day, in for the night. Looking nice & healthy.

paul.
                  Help Wildlife.
                  Take only photos-leave only footprints-Kill only time.

Comment

Mine have been out in the unheated greenhouse for 1-2 weeks now, and look pretty healthy - unfortunately with family coming for Easter they couldn't stay in the guest bedroom!
                    I do plan to dash out with a layer of fleece though if frost is expected - not sure yet how I'd fix it but sure I'll think of something!
                    S

Comment

Last night I left my 5 spare plants in the greenhouse did fleece them though, but the others are still living in the kitchen overnight along with chillis, courgettes and cucs.
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

My chillies and toms have been in the unheated GH for a couple of weeks now with the door and window open. They seem fine. If frost threatens I'll try and remember to shut the door/window at night.

Comment

Thanks for the tips.

I have been putting them out the last few days and bringing then in at night. Think I will carry on with that a few more days then stick them in the greenhouse and keep an eye on the weather forecast.

My only other concern was whether they might get fried in the sun if left in the greenhouse during the day in this very warm weather at the moment. It does seem to get pretty hot in there during the day even left unzipped - is this likely to cause a problem?

Comment

Well I've risked it!!! Planted out 6 Montfavet under a poly cloche but will be ready to fleece them if the temperature drops. Not safe here to leave anything unprotected here until the St Glace has passed (15
                            May)
                            Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

My toms have been in the greenhouse for a week now and are looking really strong. Been moving the chillies in and out for the last month but they all had their first night in the gh yesterday and seemed fine. I do tend to check the overnight forecast every evening though so will (hopefully) be ready if a sudden frost descends.

Originally posted by PMW View Post

My only other concern was whether they might get fried in the sun if left in the greenhouse during the day in this very warm weather at the moment. It does seem to get pretty hot in there during the day even left unzipped - is this likely to cause a problem?
                              As gh conditions can get pretty hot in the sun, it's a good idea to ventilate during the hottest part of the day. Although, that in itself (a draught) can cause plants to lose more moisture, so using a water spray on the plants to increase the humidity levels (with the vents closed) can help reduce moisture loss and stop them drooping.
                              come visit a garden
                              or read about mine www.suburbanvegplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X