Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its asparagus time

Mine are just starting to show.
    I would love to do something as a breakfast dish for Mme Pastis as she has only ever eaten them pickled in vinegar.
    What is your favourite way to eat the wonderful spears?
    Bob Leponge
    Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

How strange! I've never seen a pickled asparagus spear!
    Try on a toasted muffin with hollandaise sauce and a poached egg. Yum.

Comment

I love them steamed and served with butter - nothing to distract from their gorgeousness
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

Roasted in butter and a drizzle of lemon juice for about 10 mins. Nom Nom Nom.

My asparagus has a couple of spears showing too! yay!
        Little ol' me

Has just bagged a Lottie!
        Oh and the chickens are taking over my garden!
        FIL and MIL - http://vegblogs.co.uk/chubbly/

Comment

We left our 20 asparagus plants on our lottie when we moved over here
          * sobs

freshly steamed and rolled in butter.

Bst of all- it goes a treat rolled in smoked salmon and served cold with hard boiled eggs and mayo for breakfast...and fresh French bread

oh ...and a glass of fizzy , all served in bed of course!!!
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

In Spain we got a starter which was a fancy scrambled-eggs, but with 'something special' added, asparagus tips and prawns was a favourite addition.
            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
              I love them steamed and served with butter - nothing to distract from their gorgeousness
              This is my favorite way of cooking asparagus. of course you could always add them chopped to any stir fry, or in with a chicken pie.
              Look not from the mind, but from the soul. For the life that is coming is already before us, waiting to open up the world. Just look more closely. Find the eyes to see. - Celestine Prophecy 1st insight

Visit my blog: http://wheatleyswheels.blogspot.com

Comment

HFW did a kind of asparagus/hollandaisey thing, with a boiled egg, vinegar and asparagus tips. Looked good, but I haven't tried it. I have to buy some

Comment

I just chargrill them, with holandaise - amazing (gott be homemade mind!)

Comment

Asparagus pan on, cut and cooked immediately, sometimes with butter, usually eaten standing in the kitchen!
                    Life is too short for drama & petty things!
                    So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

Originally posted by bobleponge View Post
                      Mine are just starting to show.
                      D'you know us northeners would love to give you a right slap.

Yes we're past the equinox, yes the days are starting earlier, BUT we aint going to get local (green, not that dreadful white stuff) asparagus for a few weeks yet.

And YES I am impatient.

valmarg
                      Last edited by Nicos; 24-03-2011, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by valmarg View Post
                        Mine are just starting to show
                        D'you know us northeners would love to give you a right slap.

Yes we're past the equinox, yes the days are starting earlier, BUT we aint going to get local (green, not that dreadful white stuff) asparagus for a few weeks yet.

And YES I am impatient.

valmarg

Just one of the many perks of living here Val.
                        Thanks for all the ideas, I'll give a couple of them a go over the next few weeks.
                        Last edited by Nicos; 24-03-2011, 07:11 AM.
                        Bob Leponge
                        Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

I've never made a sit down comparison between white and green asparagus.
                          Is the white really supposed to be 'better'??
                          If so- in what way?
                          ( I'm presuming it'll be more tender as it's never seen the light - but is the flavour actually better- or blander/more delicate???)

Boble- have you seen green asparagus plants for sale over here???? ( next year project I hope!)
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Just one of the many perks of living here Val.
                            Yes, it would be nice to get crops earlier, and to have a lot less frost.

Still, we manage to rub along and get plenty in season. It all tastes so much better, and can't wait to go out there picking.

valmarg

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                              I've never made a sit down comparison between white and green asparagus.
                              Is the white really supposed to be 'better'??
                              If so- in what way?
                              ( I'm presuming it'll be more tender as it's never seen the light - but is the flavour actually better- or blander/more delicate???)
                              Well, OH brought some white back from Europe on a business trip a few years ago. Verdict was really rather tough/fibrous and tasteless.

Much prefer English asparagus.

When it comes to recipes, the simpler the better.

Poached salmon with steamed new potatoes, steamed asparagus spears and Hollandais sauce. Yum yum.

valmarg

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X