Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garlic problems...?

Hello all,

I have just got back from my first of the year,(very) back breaking dig at the plot and found that my garlic and some onions, which were planted late autumn are covered in orange spots/spores. I think that this may be rust, but can anyone tell me if this is a major problem or if there is anything I can do about it?

thanks
    Steve

Originally posted by stv View Post
    Hello all,

I have just got back from my first of the year,(very) back breaking dig at the plot and found that my garlic and some onions, which were planted late autumn are covered in orange spots/spores. I think that this may be rust, but can anyone tell me if this is a major problem or if there is anything I can do about it?

thanks
    Steve
    Rust is a major fungal problem for leeks, onions and garlic!

I am sorry I can't give you a definitive fungicide to use but have a look on the shelves at the local garden centre for a treatment. Because the leaves have a waxy coating you may need to add washing up liquid to break down the surface tension and allow the fungicide to stick!
    Because it will be a while before you harvest them, any fungicide residue should have dissipated, but make sure the fungicide you use is cleared for use on edible crops!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
      I am sorry I can't give you a definitive fungicide to use but have a look on the shelves at the local garden centre for a treatment.
      Sorry but there is nothing to combat rust, if it is just on the stems it should not affect the qualities of the bulb. Only surefire way to try and beat it is to pull up plants and burn or remove from plot (dont compost). As its an allotment it may be inherent on the site so you may have to choose varieties next year with some care.

Good luck.
      Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

Thanks for the response.
        It seems then that i should leave them for now and hope that the rust does not get any worse. Should i cut off any of the badly affected leaves?
        Also i heard that a high potassium feed may help.
        One last thing though, do you think this will affect my onions which are right next to the garlics, but so far look pretty much unaffected.

cheers, steve
        Last edited by stv; 17-03-2007, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X