Roma Tomatoes - do they ever die?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roma Tomatoes - do they ever die?

This year, for the first time, I've grown 3 Roma tomato plants and they're still producing flowers and small fruit. All my other plants have finished and I'm just waiting for the few remaining toms on them to ripen.

I'm nipping out all new shoots on the Roma as I'd prefer the plants to put their energy into swelling the fruit but I was wondering if this variety is indestructible

I grew some Roma tomatoes outdoors a couple of years ago & they did last well into September/early October I think so they must be fairly tough. I always pinch out the top growth towards the end of the season & also the sideshoots all the time the plants are growing but I read somewhere the other day that towards the end of the season you can leave the sideshoots on as the fruits are ripening to take up some of the water & stop the fruits from splitting. I'd never heard this before & as some of my tomatoes have split this month maybe I'll do this next year.
    Are yours outdoors or in a greenhouse? Let us know when your Roma finally give up the ghost Solway Cropper!
    Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

My roma have collapsed on the floor now but still has a lot of fruit left. It seems to be struggling.

Comment

They will give up the ghost at the first frost.

Comment

soup

Hi Solway, we planted Roma for the first time this year in the poly tunnel. We had so many that Mrs. Iron made gallons of soup that included a few chilles that we grew. Its all in the frezer now.

Comment

My Roma (baby plumb sized) toms have done epically well this year. So many fruit and non-stop.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X