Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Showing Shallots - What do they look for ??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Showing Shallots - What do they look for ??

It's our village show this weekend and we've been asked for contributions to the Allotment Site category (there are 3 sites in our village). The prize is £50 for the site funds.

Having only had a plot for 2 seasons and never even thought about showing before we have no idea what's good or bad. We've had a look and don't think we've got much of any use in show except maybe some shallots. So what do the judges look for ?

I gather 1 thing they look for is uniform size but what about shape, size and how do we display them ?

Any help would be good the entry forms have to be in tomrrow (Thursday) by 7:30pm. We only found out about it tonight

Thanks.
    "When we drink, we get drunk. When we get drunk, we fall asleep. When we fall asleep, we commit no sin. When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
    So, let's all get drunk and go to heaven!" Brian O'Rourke

You need to get a hold of the show schedule which should list the requirements for each veg.
    For shallots it will usually have a size maximum diameter/circumference & amount (ie 3, 5 etc)
    As well as uniformity they should be well ripened, and can be displayed in a small shallow container set in sand. The tops are usually bent over and tied neatly with raffia or failing that an elastic band or electricians tape.
    If you don't work to the show schedule you could possibly get the dreaded NAD certificate (Not as Described)

Good luck!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I've checked the list and all it says is 6 Shallots.

We've only grown banana shallots (Longor & Jermor). Are these any good for showing or do they have to be round shallots ?
      "When we drink, we get drunk. When we get drunk, we fall asleep. When we fall asleep, we commit no sin. When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.

Comment

Hmmm..you've got me there Bob!

I've grown Jermor also and they are a big shallot which are not really suitable for the displaying in sand method.

Suppose it depends how many entries there are but Jermor ARE a shallot so they can't be disqualified.

With onions its usually 'as pulled' or 'dressed' but I would imagine shallots will need to be dressed?

I think I would just bend over a bit of stem and wrap with raffia and display them side by side (giving the variety name) rather than stood up in sand.
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Beetroot Bob View Post
          I've checked the list and all it says is 6 Shallots.

We've only grown banana shallots (Longor & Jermor). Are these any good for showing or do they have to be round shallots ?
          Shallots is shallots!! Go for it. Pick six of one variety, as near identical as you can get. Make sure they are nice and dry and ripe, and tidy up the tops and tails. Piccy here http://gardenerstips.co.uk/blog/wp-c...w-shallots.jpg

Comment

Well ...

Nothing for our shallots or our cherry tomatoes

BUT we did get 3rd for our Petit Pan Squashes

AND 3rd for our Blackcurrent Jam and Tomato Chutney

AND MOST Important out site won the best site prize and £50 for our funds

We've also got a copy of the RHS Handbook on order so next year we'll have a better idea of what we're doing.

Comment

Well done Bob.

Comment

Thats great, Bob. Well done!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X