courgette and squashes - mulch

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• courgette and squashes - mulch

Cucumbers and squashes....I have a selection of these outside and doing well. what are your suggestions for mulches as I believe they are very thirsty. is there something I could use which would also keep them from trailing on the ground eg straw perhaps?

I have eaten my spring cabbages but have cut the stalk as opposed to pulling up the plant, I now see it has resprouted. would you dig this up or leave it and eat it later?

Tomatoes....I have a number of varieties in my greenhouse - cherry, round red (as I call normal salad tomatoes) and plum toms for cooking.
    is there an optimum number of trusses - I don't mind forfeiting quantity for taste and quality as I only have 2 of us to feed
    Last edited by zazen999; 14-06-2010, 06:14 PM.

Hi Lizzy.

You've posted all 3 threads in a moderated board; so I've merged them together and moved them to somewhere where people can see them.

Hopefully you will get some responses to your questions.

And welcome to the Vine.

Comment

Hello and welcome

I've used bark chippings for some of the squashes and pumpkins. I'm going to put some leafmould down for the next set.

For tomatoes in the greenhouse, I'm growing 6 trusses and then pinching out but I already have 2 trusses set for most of them.

Comment

I mulch with wet newspapers topped with soil or grass clippings.

The cabbage stalks will regrow to give you a few baby leaves (not a whole cabbage)
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X