Figs & Fings

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Figs & Fings

Right, replying to Andrew & LJ has set me off.

Anyone recommend a good variety of Fig to grow in our Warwickshire climate? I think I will have to go for a big tub and lift the brute into one of the greenhouses in the winter unless I build the lean to on the shed.

Also, any good cooking tips for them, I think I've had them raw and enjoyed them. I don't need to worry about High Yeild as there is probably only me that will eat them (we're a funny bunch).

My wife tells me she likes Mangoes as well, I guess these are completely out for this country aren't they?
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Right Nick cooking wise you want www.uktvfood.co.uk They have the best and biggest selection of recipes using figs. Just type fig into the search. Actually it's a good site for recipes they have thousands.
    [

Comment

As for Mangos, well you can grow the plant under glass or in the house in the UK but it is unlikely you will get any fruit. www.plantcultures.org.uk Tells you how to grow one from the mango stone from shop bought fruit.
      [

Comment

Brown Turkey

I go Brown Turkey as they are the most reliable in our climate, you can also grow them in pot and if in a greenhouse or polytunnel you will get two harvests in one year - outside only one and you will have to take off any fruit bigger than a pea before winter sets in (also wrap them up). Figs like their roots contained or else you will never see any fruit!

For further advice:
        http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...ainer_figs.asp
        Best wishes
        Andrewo
        Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

CHeers both,

I wasn't going to leave it outside hence the pot. I could build a lean to against the shed and grow it in there full time and train it against the shed wall.
          ntg

Comment

Heck

I don't think you will even need to do this, you could just get clear plastic, the same stuff as a polytunnel and tack it onto the roof of your shed and then pin it in the ground to make a tent with open ends.
            Best wishes
            Andrewo
            Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

I've got 10 8' x 2' sheets of Poly carbonate that someone took of their consrvatory to use Andrew, only cost me £50 and it was 12 months old and you can always use another greenhouse
              ntg

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X