Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've planted red onions in same bed as broad beans!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've planted red onions in same bed as broad beans!

Hi All I have just been down lottie and planted a set of red onions and imperial long pod broad beans in same bed. Now I am back sat at home in the warmth I am begining to wonder if I have made a cock up will they be ok in same bed. I thought I had it right and the onions would ward off pests from my broadies now I am not so sure and starting to think it will affect the onions growth!

Any thoughts would be apprieciated
    Last edited by greengas; 25-03-2010, 03:48 PM.
    http://greengas-ourallotment.blogspot.com/

They will be fine.

Comment

They will become best of friends - don't worry
      aka
      Suzie

Comment

Disagree...Sorry, I know I'm not supposed to contradict you Andrea....I'm afraid beans make a poor companion for onions... something like beans swamp onions and the onions roots give off/give off something the beans hate. (sulphur maybe?)...anyhow I've made the same mistake before and neither crop was a runaway success.

Just checked in Flowerdew's 'Organic Bible'...he agrees with me.

Comment

Now I am more confused than ever!

Comment

Don't be overly confused GG - there are many ways of doing things in the gardening world, many different views - often different ways of getting to the same end result.

You have already planted them so you have two choices:
            1) leave them be and see what happens
            2) dig 'em up and move 'em on

If you listen to GQT you will even hear the 'Professionals' disagreeing - so don't worry about it - just enjoy it

Here's a plan, dig up half and move them, leave the other half and then you can compare and report back on your findings
            aka
            Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
              Don't be overly confused GG - there are many ways of doing things in the gardening world, many different views - often different ways of getting to the same end result.

You have already planted them so you have two choices:
              1) leave them be and see what happens
              2) dig 'em up and move 'em on

If you listen to GQT you will even hear the 'Professionals' disagreeing - so don't worry about it - just enjoy it

Here's a plan, dig up half and move them, leave the other half and then you can compare and report back on your findings
              Right I will just leave them and report back on results later in the year, s*** or bust as my Dad used to say!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X