When to plant potatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to plant potatoes

I am a novice and completely confused about earlies second earlies etc.
    Basically my plot will be cleared ready for use by march. To have a supply of potatoes throughout the year when would I have to start planting. Would I plant all at the same time. And what are the types I should try to start with.
    Thanks to all

What part of the country are you in Simoncpg? I always aim to try to plant out my earlies and mains on Good Friday - a bit of old wives' lore which has worked for me in the past. However your location may be vastly different to mine - and who knows what the weather is going to be like! One of my lottie mates advised growing a succession of first earlies - quicker maturing, less likely to be wiped out by blight.
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Simon you already asked this Zazen answered and I put a link to the potato thread for you.
      http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...tml#post596985
      WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

I've just bought my seed tatties and will be planting some in bags in the greenhouse next weekend probably.
        If they show above ground quickly i'll just cover them. They can stay in the greenhouse until fear of frosts are over then I'll give tattiemans idea a whirl and 'pocket' plant them in clumps in the usual way in a shallow depression.
        After the tops have died off I can then bring them back into the greenhouse in there bags and just tip out a bag when I need some tatties......simples.......probably!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I've found tattiemans website invaluable for reading up on growing pots:

Scottish seed potatoes and organic growing potatoes - Buy seed potatoes from Jamieson Brothers Annan

Comment

Im in lincolnshire. Im still not quite up to speed with earlies etc it must be me. you plant them all at the same time then

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
              I've just bought my seed tatties and will be planting some in bags in the greenhouse next weekend probably.
              If they show above ground quickly i'll just cover them. They can stay in the greenhouse until fear of frosts are over then I'll give tattiemans idea a whirl and 'pocket' plant them in clumps in the usual way in a shallow depression.
              After the tops have died off I can then bring them back into the greenhouse in there bags and just tip out a bag when I need some tatties......simples.......probably!
              What's the 'pocket' planting idea? I haven't seen this on tattieman's site.
              Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
              Snadger - Director of Poetry
              RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
              Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
              Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
              piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by OllieMartin View Post
                Have a s****h of some of Snadger's past posts.....it's a Snadger thing not a Tattieman thing.
                Last edited by zazen999; 24-01-2010, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by simoncpg View Post
                  Im in lincolnshire. Im still not quite up to speed with earlies etc it must be me. you plant them all at the same time then
                  First earlies, earlies and maincrop refer to the time it takes from planting to maturity. i.e. first earlies don't take as long to be ready for harvest as maincrop.

Comment

Originally posted by OllieMartin View Post
                    Sorry Ollie.........Tattiemans tatties are planted in fertiliser bags in rows. The only change I'me making to his suggested regime is I like to plant in odd numbered pockets of 3 or 5 or at the most 7 plants.
                    Every plant in my allotment is pocket planted 'cos I'm just an awkward git' and like to do things differently (and more naturally in my eyes!)
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I planted my potatoes last weekend and woke up to a frost this morning!!!! Will they survive it or shall i start again?
                      The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow.

Comment

I wouldn't risk planting spuds outside before march but then I am no expert.
                        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                        -----------------------------------------------------------
                        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by growingkasbar View Post
                          I planted my potatoes last weekend and woke up to a frost this morning!!!! Will they survive it or shall i start again?
                          Do you mean in the ground or in a bag in the greenhouse?

Comment

In a bag.....on my patio. Which I am now begining to think was a mistake!
                            The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow.

Comment

Originally posted by growingkasbar View Post
                              In a bag.....on my patio. Which I am now begining to think was a mistake!
                              It depends on whether the frost has gotten through to the spuds and killed off the growing tips.

Last year I didn't plant mine till the end of March and whenever there was a risk of frost I just mounded up the soil over any growing foliage, it soon grows through again and survives the frost.
                              My 2014 No Dig Allotment
                              My 2013 No Dig Allotment
                              My 2012 No Dig Allotment
                              My 2011 No Dig Allotment

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X