Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aaaaaargh! Can't get Sarpo potatoes to cook properly!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aaaaaargh! Can't get Sarpo potatoes to cook properly!

I am getting really, really frustrated with my Sarpo potatoes! They're described in the catalogue as 'general purpose - chip, bake, roast, boil, mash', but although they make fab chips and roasties, I cannot get them to boil without falling apart round the edges after 10 mins but staying raw in the middle, and I'm just trying to steam them now and they won't flippin cook! The rest of the dinner is ready and the spuds are still rock hard I cut them into quite small pieces as well.

Any tips anybody? Is this because they're relatively fresh out of the ground, or am I going to have to do without mash for the next couple of months?! (Noooooooooooooo, I LOVE mash!!)

Hi Sarah, try cooking them over a low heat for a longer period of time, don't let the water get too hot so that the heat gets to the middle of the spud before the outside crumbles. Never tried Sarpo but have used this with other floury potatoes.
    "We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."-- Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Mine do this it drives me to distraction. I chop them up really small then when the outsides start breaking up, drain off 90% of the water, mash them up and keep them on a low heat, mashing a few times in between....and near the end add the milk and butter.

Comment

Best tip I have is Big Pot Boiling - boil them in the biggest pot you've got and don't salt the water. Basically, the heat stays steadier and hotter thus cooking faster, and leaving out the salt helps penetration (it can have a mild calcifying effect). I always practice this with large dried pasta too so you don't have fluffy outsides before the centre is cooked.

It prolly won't cure it but might help a bit.
        I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Thanks girls

I got them mashed eventually - I ended up turning the heat up so that they were being steamed with boiling water rather than simmering, then as soon as they started breaking up, tipped them into the (emptied) bottom steamer pan, added some milk and butter and put them back on a very low heat while mashing. It was a right pain in the bum, but the mash was nice, eventually! The rest of the veg were bordering on over-cooked by then though

Comment

I grew these last year and although they resist blight I think they are rubbish both in flavour and floury texture, I won't be growing them again
            Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Have you considered the dreaded microwave? Well washed spuds in a plastic container (yes, I use a freezer-bag) but no more water than 'wet from washing' will steam in the microwave (only really viable for small quantities, I think it takes about 5 mins per lb) and if they DO break up a bit, hardly a problem for mashing, because it is all contained.
              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

sarwaz i have the same problem so at least i know it's not my rubbish cooking!

Comment

They do make the best roasties ever, and gorgeous chips, so they're not completely useless
                  Maybe they'll improve as mashers as they get older? We'll see.
                  Hilary, i don't use a microwave, but with 5 of us it'd be a bit long winded anyway
                  SN, if i come across a foolproof way of doing them, I'll report back!
                  Last edited by SarzWix; 15-09-2009, 11:44 AM.

Comment

I have the same problem with my International Kidney and Cara potatoes. Strange thing is, I have grown Int. Kid. many times before but in the garden at home and had no problem when cooking them. This year I have grown them on the lottie and they fall to pieces as soon as you show them the pan.

Desiree and Swift have both done very well and don't have the cooking problems.

Ah well, only about ten sacks to get through. Bangers and mash anyone?
                    It is the doom of man, that they forget.

Comment

Have you tried boiling them in their skins?

You can drain them & peel the skins off if you don't like them - or eat as is.

Comment

I have been steaming mine in their skins. They take a little longer than the earlier spuds (Sharpes Express) and the skins do break open but in our house a new spud is not a new spud unless the skin breaks open! We only peel potatoes when we get the real old winter ones from the supermarket. We can't grow enough to keep us all year.

Comment

They bake pretty well too! Mine survived a boiling but i chopped the, 5mm thick and used a ricer to mash. flavour was ok, very scabby though.
                          www.myspace.com/alexfcooke
                          www.outofthecool.com
                          http://polytunneldiaries.blogspot.com/

Comment

Just an update on the 'Cara' potatoes. Tried them as jacket spuds yesterday. What a dissapointment. No texture and no flavour. Am going to need serious help in finding ways of adding flavour.
                            It is the doom of man, that they forget.

Comment

wow i'm suprised, i have been grownig the sarpo mira variety. for baking i roll the potatoes in olive oil and salt. Pop then in at 200 for an hour and they come out tasty.

maybe this is worth a try
                              www.myspace.com/alexfcooke
                              www.outofthecool.com
                              http://polytunneldiaries.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X