Shallots from seed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shallots from seed

First year of growing stuff and I planted some shallot sets with really good results. So this next years target is to grow them from seed, gulp!

Question is, when should I plant the seeds for them to be ready for planting out next year And is there anything that may trip me up?

You could start them off now in modules sheltered but outdoors and plant out when you've got other things out to make some space (after potatos or brassicas would be favourite) or treat them as an onion from seed and sow December/Jan under cover to plant out March.

Seed-grown tend to suffer less from things like white-rot but sometimes botrytis can have a go at the indoor plantings if your greenhouse is too "wet"

I'll be sowing some Prisma F1 along with the Red Baron and Hi Keeper onion seeds this weekend, a tray of each for me plus others to swap with lottie friends

chrisc
    chrisc

Comment

Originally posted by chriscross1966 View Post
      You could start them off now in modules sheltered but outdoors and plant out when you've got other things out to make some space (after potatos or brassicas would be favourite) or treat them as an onion from seed and sow December/Jan under cover to plant out March.

Seed-grown tend to suffer less from things like white-rot but sometimes botrytis can have a go at the indoor plantings if your greenhouse is too "wet"

I'll be sowing some Prisma F1 along with the Red Baron and Hi Keeper onion seeds this weekend, a tray of each for me plus others to swap with lottie friends

chrisc
      chrisc
      Thanks Chris.

I am not lucky enough to have a lottie or greenhouse so it'll be the windowsill for my seeds.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X