Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this a good time to plant strawberries?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a good time to plant strawberries?

I have some strawberry plants that I bought this year, and planted in one of those fountain type basket thingies, as I had no available ground. Got a few berries from each plant, but now having lifted the alliums, have a 6'x3' bed waiting for something to go in.
    Would this be an okay time to plant these strawberries, and would they survive?
    The bed is South facing, but quite a windy garden wuith very little shelter.

Strawbs planted now will get a good root system going in the autumn and will 'hit the ground running' as soon as weather permits next spring. Raised beds are good as strawbs need free draining soil. I also have some strawbs still in the cells that I got them in from garden centre this year. I planted half of them out and have had a good crop. I will be putting the rest in during September, into a bare patch I will be clearing over the next 3-4 weeks.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Any time's a good time. If you have plants and space available, and are prepared to make sure they don't dry out then go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by COMPOST CORNER View Post
        I have some strawberry plants that I bought this year, and planted in one of those fountain type basket thingies, as I had no available ground. Got a few berries from each plant, but now having lifted the alliums, have a 6'x3' bed waiting for something to go in.
        Would this be an okay time to plant these strawberries, and would they survive?
        The bed is South facing, but quite a windy garden wuith very little shelter.
        Perfect timing.
        Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

As summer turns to autumn, most plants start to pull the energy from their leaves and direct it into root growth to give them a strong start the next season. That applies to strawberries, as well as other fruit plants or fruit trees.
          Late August and into early September is an excellent time to plant or move since the plants will immediately send out a mass of new roots.
          Part of the reason that I'm not a great fan of "bare root" fruit trees is that they are dug up after the energy has transferred to the roots and the new (young/soft and easily damaged) root growth that would have powered a strong start the next season gets left behind when they're dug out of the ground and may not be fully replaced for a further year after planting - meaning delayed establishment.

Comment

Thanks for the info and encouragement folks, the plants will be going in today.
            Will I need to remove the leaves later, in the autumn, or are strawberries effectively deciduous and lose the leaves naturally?

Comment

Could anybody comment on alpine strawberries ? i've got a stack of them crowding out some big flower tubs and would like to split them and make a border of them. They're still producing loads of fruit and i've also heard that they are only any good in their first year.

I'm very pleased with them and they'd make a good ground cover plant to keep me from weeding. it'd be a shame to have to let them go.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X