Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brussels Sprouts storage

Hi,

It's been a while since I visited the site, been ill unfortunately but I'm back now, with 32 Brussels sprouts "trees" on the allotment ready to eat on Xmas day (and the day after, and the day after).

I was wondering if anyone knew how long Brussels sprouts would keep for if they are still on the plant? I have cut 4 down and they are hung in the garage at the moment. I read somewhere that they'd keep for 2 weeks or so and I could pick some off whenever I wanted.

Ideally, I would keep going to the allotment and getting them fresh but its dark before I get home from work!

Cheers in advance,

Clareg

Hi Clare,

You could just stick the root end of the 'tree' in a bucket of water...they will last 2 weeks or so.

Nice to see you back and hope all is well now.
    Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

It looks like you will be buying a freezer then LOL

Comment

How Many

Well done indeed, my brussels have been an unmitigated disaster this year ( and last )

I have found in the past though, that preparing them, par boiling and then freezing in batches is the best way to store them. It would be a shame to waste any and it does keep the flavour fresh.

Enjoy your Christmas dinner,
        Darren

Comment

Cheers everyone for your suggestions. Had a brilliant year at the allotment. This is only my 2nd year and everything outside has grown - sprouts, sweetcorn, peas, broad beans, runner beans, beetroot, leeks, onions, new potatoes, potatoes, phew!

I already have bags and bags of sprouts in the freezer so I think I will be giving whats left away over the Xmas weekend! If you live in Preston and see someone with a car full of sprouts, that will be me!

Clareg

Comment

You could always send some this way
            Didn't think of growing them until it was too late.
            Will now be joining the queue in Tesco over the next few days

Comment

Seen some in Tecos, they were huge!!! Must have been genetically modified! Bit jealous really, although my pea sized ones will taste better, or at least that's what I tell OH!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

no snadger..... they were cabbage
                ntg
                Never be afraid to try something new.
                Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                ==================================================

Comment

I had to buy the sprouts as well today Tesco have some still on the stalk
                  but they have put cling film over it like the cabbadge
                  Why do they fell the need for all that plastic
                  its so anoyong
                  I was expeciting to see individual raped sprouts
                  Some things in their natural state have the most VIVID colors
                  Dobby

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
                    no snadger..... they were cabbage
                    Glad about that Nick, they were puny cabage then!: One thing I can grow better than Tesco's anyway!

Still don't think OH will fall for that onre though! Lol
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Well done on the lottie Clareg. Glad your keeping better. Now that you're back we'll get some advice from you as your obviously doing something right.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dobby View Post
                        I had to buy the sprouts as well today Tesco have some still on the stalk
                        but they have put cling film over it like the cabbadge
                        Why do they fell the need for all that plastic
                        its so anoyong
                        I was expeciting to see individual raped sprouts

The mind boggles:"individually raped sprouts"???!! (Sorry Dobbie, No insult intended, but what a wonderful thought!)

I went to the market today and bought some fresh to store for Monday. Later when we went to the lottie someone had put four sticks on the skip and only taken a few of the choicer sprouts, so there were loads left. I couldn't see them go to landfill, so came home with a bag of mixed sized sprouts. We had them for tea with a leek and stilton quiche - lovely. Not sure they were individually raped though!
                        Last edited by madderbat; 22-12-2006, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Hi,

Just to update you all, I managed to give away half of the brussel sprout "trees" on Christmas Eve (about 14), to some very surprised and grateful allotment holders, family and friends. The rest are still growing, and I think will be ok for a bit longer.

I also did my good deed for the day to wildlife and turned over a bit of the allotment to let Laurel & Hardy feed on the worms etc. Laurel & Hardy are a pair of robins that make frequent visits to my allotment called as so because one is skinny and the other is rotund! They are cheeky, sitting on my spade when I take a break! I know my soil needs the worms but I'm sure they will eat the nasty bugs too.

I don't have much growing now so I'm spending the weekend (if I don't get blown anyway in the gales they are forcasting up here) making beds ready for 2007. What's everyone else doing?

Clareg

Comment

Why is it that now,when my brussel sprouts have finally made it to an edible size , they are selling them in Tesco's at 4 pence per pound! Argggg!

Next year I'm going to grow really early or really late sprouts so that I can harvest them when they cost a fortune in the shops!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X