spring cabbages

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spring cabbages

Don't know if these will be ok I bought 25 spring cabbage plug plants for 2.00 they are about 6 inches high and hardened off I planted half out side and the other in polytunnel

marion

Should give you a succesion as the ones in the polytunnel should mature a bit quicker!

Bunnies and pigeons are a bit short of food just now so it might be worth netting the ones outside though?
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
      Bunnies and pigeons are a bit short of food just now so it might be worth netting the ones outside though?

Or just sit on the shed roof with shotgun at the ready!!

Rabbit stew.......got me thinking now.....
      Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

I was just about to type the very same thing Geordie great minds etc etc ......
        ntg
        Never be afraid to try something new.
        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
        ==================================================

Comment

Brings a whole new, ominous meaning to the idea of a "cauld and wint'ry blast"...!
          You won't get this li'l bunny though... I've seen the latest Wallace and Gromit...who needs to surface to harvest root crops...?
          There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Hoisted by my own petard!!eek:

I have two beds of spring cabbage, one lot sown earlier and just about ready for eating and one sown later.

The later plants look healthy under there protective netting. The earlier plants being larger would be less appealing to wood pidgeons, magpies, jackdaws and all manner of flying rats!! Or so I thought!!!

I picked off all the outer holed leaves about a fortnight ago so that slugs or snails would have nowhere to hide. Went to lotttie today to find the outer leaves riddled with holes again!

It has to be some feathered creature as there are no caterpillars, snails or slugs and the other netted bed is undamaged! Grrrrr!!

Needless to say my pottering today consisted of knocking a makeshift frame up and covering the early cabbages with netting!

Lesson learn't, next time I'll practice what I preach!!!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

cabages

mine are still there all 14 of them rest in polytunnel, I also planted raddish seeds in the tunnel they have grown how long before I nget any radish on them they have been growing about six weeks.

marion

Comment

Ooo, I'm envious Kittykat8... I planted a row on the lottie last month of seeds, I expect if any have sprouted the wildlife have probably pulled them... I went back a few weeks ago and something have pulled up most of my garlic bulbs

I'll be ore prepared next year with netting. Actually, in January I'll buy some netting and rescue what I can. They didn't seem to have touched my already growing garlic, just the new bulbs, so I should still get a crop. Still....
                Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X