Potatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potatoes

Can someone tell me how I know when my potatoes will be ready. I planted tubers in February in sacks which have grown really well. Do they flower and when will this happen. It is my first time growing potatoes and I want to try and get it right. Cheers.

Dianne

Hi Dianne, It helps if you know the type of seed potato you planted, different types take longer or shorter times to mature. If in doubt, wait 'till the foliage (haulms) starts to die off, the the spuds will be ready. Welcome to the forum
    I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Thanks for asking this question as it saves me having to ask. As all my spuds are mystery varieties I shall have to follow the wait till the foliage starts to die off advice.

Comment

Thanks for your reply, I get the feeling they were some sort of earlies I think, but I will follow your advice. Cheers.

Dianne

Comment

I was about to ask the same question, I have Golden Wonder and Romanno maincrop in the ground so know they wont be ready till September. I also have spuds growing in sacks whick have now been filled to the top with soil I put them in a few months back bought in wilkos not sure what variety so I guess I will just wait till the folage dies and see what I get!
          http://greengas-ourallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

If they're earlies you can stick your hand down inside the bag and see if you can feel any that are the right size for eating. Or work out how long they've been planted - anything between 10 and 14 weeks for earlies, 15 to 20 weeks for maincrops.

Comment

I was going to do that, but I didn't want to disturb them, but I'll maybe try that in a bit if you think its a good idea.

Dianne

Comment

Just feel down the side and it should be fine. We all do it Generally known (on the Grapevine) as having a furtle!

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                  Just feel down the side and it should be fine. We all do it Generally known (on the Grapevine) as having a furtle!

Here in Yorkshire its meaning is the same but extends to things other than potatoes...

From a poem by Glynis Beattie:

His idea of bliss, was a lingering kiss
                  As we listened to The Stones and Deep Purple
                  Then at the end of the night,
                  we'd turn out the light
                  And indulge in a grope and a furtle.

The proof of the growing is in the eating.
                  Leave Rotten Fruit.
                  Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potasium - potash.
                  Autant de têtes, autant d'avis!!!!!
                  Il n'est si méchant pot qui ne trouve son couvercle.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X