Rotting Basil cuttings

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotting Basil cuttings

I have tried a few times to root basil and rosemary in water but always fail
    How does everyone else manage it?

I have tried various lengths but nothing works.All that happens is that the stem rots and the stem/water goes slimy.

Is tap water OK for using?
    How often do you change the water?

Any tips would be appreciated

Originally posted by stevemac View Post
    I have tried a few times to root basil and rosemary in water but always fail
    How does everyone else manage it?

I have tried various lengths but nothing works.All that happens is that the stem rots and the stem/water goes slimy.

Is tap water OK for using?
    How often do you change the water?

Any tips would be appreciated
    I have managed it so it cant be hard lol , have you cut the cutting under a leaf node that works for me ?...And change the water often..

Comment

I've managed to root rosemary- by changing the water every couple of days- with water at room temperature- not cold from the tap.
      Never tried basil- thought it couldn't be done!!!
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I've not been successful with rosemary but basil rooted as easy as mint! I never remember to change the water and usually only notice they are ready for potting up when they start to wilt because ther's no water left. I remember on holiday once it was so hot the flowers on the tables grew roots in the vases. Perhaps it's easier in summer when water is warmer. (note to myself try changing water for rosemary)

Comment

Never tried Rosemary rooting in water, but Basil I have. I tend to change the water every 2/3 days, normal tap water I use

Comment

i've rooted rosemary without water ...straight into soil but i just grow basil from seed (when it germinates ......)
            http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

So where do you all put your cups with water and cuttings ?a windowsill or away from the window?
              Also i have only tried it in a glass ,I'm going to try it in a non-see through container to see if this stops the stems/water turning slimy.

Any other tips?

Comment

Originally posted by stevemac View Post
                Thanks for the replies.

So where do you all put your cups with water and cuttings ?a windowsill or away from the window?
                Also i have only tried it in a glass ,I'm going to try it in a non-see through container to see if this stops the stems/water turning slimy.

Any other tips?
                Hi Stevemac

I pop it on the kitchen windowsill. Use a jam jar and put some clingfilm on top and poke the cuttings through, leaves won't rot in the water then Good luck!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X