Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transplanting strawberries

Hi all,

I walked into a forgotten patch of the garden today (it's easy to do ) and saw a LOT of strawberries, the old lady had let the garden overgrown before we got it.

some of them are flowering so won't move those but the ones that aren't, can I move it to a newly dedicated strawberry bed? Otherwise, when can I dig them up to move them? There's lots of grass around there and it needs strimming too so need to decide quickly

Had I known, I wouldn't have spent all that money buying 30 new strawberry plants this year

I would be more inclined to pin the new runners into pots of compost. Once they are well rooted you can cut them off and start your new bed.

In the autumn you can dig up some established ones and clean off the roots so you aren't moving any old soil to the new bed.

A plus point is that your new strawberries may be a different variety and will fruit at a sightly different time to your current ones.
    Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are probably right.
    Edited: for typo, thakns VC

Comment

You should be able to move the strawberries without to many losses, just make sure you move them with as much soil as possible thus keeping root disturbance to a minimum. Water well for a few weeks and they will be fine. They may even surprise you and flower this year.

Ian

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X