Leeks - do I need to sow again?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leeks - do I need to sow again?

I sowed leeks into loo rolls about 6 weeks ago. They all germinated and within about 3 weeks they had developed into very thin seedlings. However, they have not moved on from this. I've made sure the compost is always damp but not too wet and they are inside an unheated greenhouse. Is this usual? Am I too late to sow another batch?

Leeks are very slow, don't worry about it. Mine have looked like thin grass for 3 months now.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks for the reassurance

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
        Leeks are very slow, don't worry about it. Mine have looked like thin grass for 3 months now.
        and mine!!!!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Is it usual for part of the 'grass' to die off, each leek has two 'grass' stalks and one of these on each plant appears to be yellowing and dying off?

Comment

Amanda, you should really only use loo rolls for seeds with long roots that grow quickly [IMHO].

Can you pop the seedlings somewhere in your garden, or in a pot, where they can sit for the next few months until they are big enough to be moved into their final positions? A corner of any bed would do it.

Also, get them out of the greenhouse, they are hardy and are probably too warm - harden them off for a few days then leave them outside either in a pot or in a bed.

Comment

leeks sown in january have only just reached around 6" which is about right for planting out now.
              2nd batch one or two are ready,3rd batch done in february are nowere near ready.
              a good put down line to use !

If having brains was a fatal disease, you would be the only survivor.

Comment

Zazen, thanks for the tip. I've no where in the ground but I could re-pot them into a trough to put outside. Do you think I need to take them out of the loo rolls or plant all of it and leave the loo rolls to disintegrate?

Comment

Plant all of it, it will disintegrate in time.

Comment

I garden on the east coast of Canada and started my leeks under lights in mid January but they have been transplanted into the garden for over a month now. My suggestion is that I agree with those who are saying, get them out doors into the garden where ever you have a little space available. Leeks are a great cool weather crop and I suspect the greenhouse is too warm for them. We even leave some in the soil over winter and when the snow melts in spring they are ready to eat.

My leek problem is a Snowshoe Hare and some of his friends. If I were'nt a vegetarian he might have been stew a long time ago. I've been talking to him for years and don't have the heart to have anything done about him. The leeks are in a raised bed and last night he was in the middle of them with me standing next to the bed. If he could talk I think he was saying, would you like a leek they are very good and there are lots of them.
                    http://http://dalecaldersblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

I too have been wondering about my leeks, they are about 5" high, but only a millimetre or so wide. I planted them in 4" square pots, just scattering the seeds over the top. Currently in unheated GH to keep them from blowing away. I thought I should wait until they were pencil thickness before planting them out, is this the case? If so, should they be pricked out into individual modules at some stage, or can I leave them in the pots?

Comment

Originally posted by COMPOST CORNER View Post
                        I too have been wondering about my leeks, they are about 5" high, but only a millimetre or so wide. I planted them in 4" square pots, just scattering the seeds over the top. Currently in unheated GH to keep them from blowing away. I thought I should wait until they were pencil thickness before planting them out, is this the case? If so, should they be pricked out into individual modules at some stage, or can I leave them in the pots?
                        Hi

You can put them in individual pots.....but there really is no point.

Just make sure they are hardened off, and put them in a bigger pot, or in a corner of a bed until you are ready for them to go into their final positions. Or, leave them in the pot you have got but to be honest they won't grow the roots in a small pot.
                        Last edited by zazen999; 27-05-2009, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Does anyone know where i might buy some leek seedlings from as wasn't organised enough to get any sown like you guys. Mail order would be fine or in Mid Warwickshire region if a garden centre/nursery. Thanks guys.
                          When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Just sow some quick they grow quicker when sown late, You'll have leeks in the spring...not so large but very tender.

Don't know what the loo roll thing is about. no problems with root disturbance with leeks. must be a right smelly mouldy mess. repot them sharper drainage 40 to a tray.

I just sprinkle some thinly in 5" pots. don't bother to do anything but water feed and plant the fattest ones out 3 or 4 months later.

Comment

Originally posted by miffy View Post
                              Does anyone know where i might buy some leek seedlings from as wasn't organised enough to get any sown like you guys. Mail order would be fine or in Mid Warwickshire region if a garden centre/nursery. Thanks guys.
                              I've PM-ed you for a swap!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X