Oranges in Brandy

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oranges in Brandy

Just found this recipe in Move To The Country magazine (I won a years free subscription to it).

12 small oranges
    350g/12oz sugar
    300ml/1/2 pint water
    300ml/11fl.oz brandy
    2 1 litre preserving jars

Remove the zest from the oranges with a grater then simmer it in water for 30 seconds, drain and reserve. Peel the oranges deeply so that the globes are slightly smaller. You should be able to see sacs of juice inside each segment. Heat the sugar and water in a pan until all the sugar dissolves. Simmer the oranges in the syrup for about two minutes before removing. Boil the syrup for a further five minutes before taking it off the heat and allowing it to cool. Pack the oranges into jars and sprinkle a little of the zest on top. Add brandy to the syrup then completely cover the oranges in the liquid. After sealing the jars, leave them to mature for a minimum of 2 months.

Looking forward to trying this one out. Getting the brandy tomorrow. Hic!
    Live each day as if it was your last because one day it will be

Mmm! that sounds nice. I'm not a big brandy fan though, but I guess the orange taste might over-power it. Do you think any other alcohol would work in its place? Otherwise I guess I could buy a bottle and use the rest for the Christmas cake.

Comment

That sounds lovely SB! and a good idea to make for christmas pressies as well. DDL
      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Yum, fruit packed in brandy tastes delish. Both flavours alter beautifully subtley. Will bear this in mind.
        Bright Blessings
        Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Good idea DDL. I never thought of that If I can find some fitting jars I may do that.
          Live each day as if it was your last because one day it will be

Comment

Waffler you could always add some orange liqueur in place of some of the brandy to heighten the orange taste. We do something similar with raisins and whatever we can get. Oranges and rum can be a good combination. Adding raisins adds extra sweetness and richness to things like this. Most spirits will work - Rumtopf is a good example. Vodka works well with a lot of things but brandy is warmer.
            Last edited by Earthbabe; 02-11-2006, 11:23 PM.
            Bright Blessings
            Earthbabe

Comment

Good idea to use different liqueur earthbabe. I think I might go for the orange liqueur. I might play around with different fruit. Peaches or apricots would be good. Serve with home made ice cream Yum
              Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful..William Morris

Comment

I'm drooling already and it's not even lunch time. My only problem is making sure the brandy or whatever goes in with the fruit and not into Mr E's tum! I may try it out myself but need to sort out the giant pumpkin first.
                Bright Blessings
                Earthbabe

Comment

Ooh! Orange and rum EB - fantastic! OH will be pleased too as he loves a drop (or several) or the golden stuff!

Comment

Please let it never be said that I indulge too much. I don't think that is possible for those rapidly approaching 40.
                    Bright Blessings
                    Earthbabe

Comment

Originally posted by Waffler View Post
                      Mmm! that sounds nice. I'm not a big brandy fan though, but I guess the orange taste might over-power it. Do you think any other alcohol would work in its place? Otherwise I guess I could buy a bottle and use the rest for the Christmas cake.
                      Vodka works fine too.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X