runner beans - roots but no shoots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• runner beans - roots but no shoots

i planted some runner bean seeds in 3" pots last weekend, just discovered that they've got 2 inch roots growing out of the bottom of the pots but there's no green shoots (or any colour for that matter) sprouting out of the top of the soil.. is this normal and what do i do with them, the roots that are poking out of the bottom are making the pots all wobbly and unbalanced

runner beans usually unfurl upward from the main bean, have a little dig in the surface to see if you can see any shoots or a green strip, you may have planted them a bit deeply, or worse case scenario, slugs have eaten them.

Comment

Don't worry; roots first, then shoots In a 3 inch pot it would be almost impossible to plant them too deeply

Comment

Would you put your head out voluntarily in this weather? Give 'em a chance. I sowed mine in Rootrainers in the cold frame and it was nearly three weeks before the shoots appeared. (When I sow them indoors they will appear in a week or so.) Now they are growing happily. Be patient!
        Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.

Comment

You haven't had a slug come in and eaten all the tops off have you ?
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

got shoots and roots now!! how soon should i take them out of the pots and put them in bigger ones? also how come when i take any of my seedlings out of pots all the soil falls off them?? when i took my onion seedlings out i just ended up with something that looked like a thin piece of cotton.. surely that can't be right??

Comment

Originally posted by ckfe View Post
              got shoots and roots now!! how soon should i take them out of the pots and put them in bigger ones? also how come when i take any of my seedlings out of pots all the soil falls off them?? when i took my onion seedlings out i just ended up with something that looked like a thin piece of cotton.. surely that can't be right??
              It's not, you are supposed to wait until the roots fill the module/pot. Check the bottom of the pot and when the roots show, then plant them out or pot them on.

Comment

yeah i thought it didn't look right, good job this forum is here otherwise i'd still be buying all my fruit and veg from asdas in 10 years time

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X