Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Woo! I am eating my own home grown salad leaves...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woo! I am eating my own home grown salad leaves...

...and they are delicious! I have grown them in a pot outside my front door while I wait (impatiently) for my raised bed to go in the back garden. The back garden is mainly clay-mud, clay-mud, building work and more mud right now.

I have been lurking on this forum for a while and got the bug: so far I have carrots and lettuce growing in a tubs and strawberries in hanging baskets outside my front door, and courgette seedlings sprouting on my bedroom windowsill, AND basil on my kitchen windowsill! There is also an as yet unidentified seedling brought home from nursery school by my three-year old daughter today. I suspect that will be a sunflower.

So thank you for such a great forum. I've got into growing my own before I even have a garden! I was so excited by my first 'crop' I thought i should introduce myself

Hi Ruby, its great isn't it? to eat something you have grown............and it grows, soon you will think of more and more things that you can grow in a pot - have you started some toms yet?
    BumbleB

I have raked the soil and planted the seeds
    Now I've joined the army that fights the weeds.

Comment

Hi BumbleB
      You are so right - it is great! As I was cutting my lettuce leaves, I was thinking about what i could use around the house to sew some more seeds in! I haven't tried tomatoes yet. I think I will read up on them a bit and get some going.

I feel like a real gardener this evening!

Comment

Beetroot, radish etc, they can be sown all through summer with your salad leaves.
        I use plastic fruit cartons to sow seeds in, with the lids as a propogater. Any of the plastic trays etc that food and meat comes in, good recycling!
        BumbleB

I have raked the soil and planted the seeds
        Now I've joined the army that fights the weeds.

Comment

Thanks for those tips, BumbleB <<goes to raid fridge>>

Comment

Hi RubyT. I too had first salad picking a few days ago. They looked so good youngest daughter who thinks any salad should only be 'garnish' size - wolfed down a great big bowl. Keep sowing more every couple of weeks-Im on my third sowing at the mo you wont regret it.

best wishes with the raised beds, Ive got a jumble of home made ones, and its the best afternoons work i did-still going strong and this is their 3rd year (as i made them i didnt think they'd last the first season!)

francesbean
            My Square Foot Gardening Experiment Blog :
            http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...log_usercp.php

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X