Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone got rhubarb and ginger jam recipe please?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone got rhubarb and ginger jam recipe please?

We've got some rhubarb on the new lottie and I would like to try and make some rhubarb and ginger jam. I don't have a thermometer so would need to be one of those "put some on a saucer in the fridge" recipes to check the setting point.

Do I use fresh ginger or can I use stem ginger (the one in syrup) which I have in the cupboard? Or maybe both. Going to the local food festival tomorrow so can get some fresh if needed.

Also should I buy preserving sugar or will granulated do? Got golden caster sugar but not sure if that's the right thing.

Thanks.

This is the one that I always use:

RHUBARB & GINGER JAM

MAKES ABOUT 3LBS

INGREDIENTS:
    1kg (2lb 4oz) trimmed rhubarb, chopped
    1kg (2lb 4oz) sugar
    juice of two small lemons
    25g (1oz) root ginger
    100g (4oz) crystallised ginger, chopped

METHOD:
    1. Mix the chopped rhubarb, sugar and lemon juice in a large bowl and leave overnight.
    2. Bash the root ginger to break the root up a bit and tie in a muslin bag. Put the rhubarb mixture and the ginger muslin bag in a heavy pan and boil rapidly for 15 minutes.
    3. Remove the root ginger bag, add the preserved ginger and boil again until the rhubarb is clear.
    4. Test for a set by leaving a small amount of the jam mix on a cold plate. If it wrinkles when you push your finger through it then it's ready.
    5. Skim the surface of the jam with a slotted spoon then pot and seal in sterilised jars

I always use basic granulated sugar as it's cheaper, but caster sugar is just the same stuff but ground finer so would be fine. Never bother with preserving sugar and never have a problem with the set, actually this one is more prone to being too thick.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I'm trying something a bit different this year - Rhubarb and Tangerine Chutney !!
      Rat

British by birth
      Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
      http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks Alison. Thick jam is how we like it so that's ok. Not been down to pick Rhubarb yet. Sidetracked with cooking/baking bread, sage and onion focaccia rolls, stuffed breast of lamb for tea tonight, wild rabbit in mustard sauce for tomorrow (so i can spend more time down lottie) some meringues and profiterols....only time for a quick whiz round the garden at home....whew I'm worn out again just typing all that !!

Wow, SR, rhubarb and tangerine chutney. I'd never have thought of that one. Let's know how it turns out.

Comment

crystallised ginger

If you're feeling really adventurous you could even try making the crystallised ginger yourself. The recipe below only takes about an hour and a half and most of that is it just simmering on the stove. A word of warning - you can probably buy crystallised ginger for cheaper than you can make it, unless you have a better ginger source than me.

Ingredients

250ml Thinly sliced peeled fresh ginger
          125ml Granulated sugar
          175ml Water
          Extra Granulated sugar

Method

Place the ginger in a small saucepan and cover with water, bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Drain and then repeat once with fresh cold water.

Combine the ginger, 175ml of water and 125ml sugar in a saucepan. Bring to the boil and then simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes, or until all the liquid has evaporated. It's best to watch it for the last 10 minutes in case it scorches.

Put a layer of extra sugar in a dish and tip the ginger in. Toss it until all pieces are coated. Dry in a 200 degree F oven for an hour. Let stand at room temperature for 1 day to finish drying.(you can miss all this extra drying out if you are using it immediately)
          Makes just over 100g.
          Crystallised or preserved ginger keeps almost indefinitely in a sealed jar, in a cool dark place.
          http://www.pickleandpreserve.co.uk

Comment

Oooh Thank you Pickle I think I'll give that go, the market is ussually okay price wise for ginger.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X