Is My Basil Fawlty?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is My Basil Fawlty?

Yeah, I know there are loads of threads on growing basil already, but I wanted to use my clever title

Sowed a pinch of seeds in a pot, covered with clingfilm and put on windowsill. Eventually two of them germinated (barely)... and that's it. They've just been sitting there for weeks with a pair of seed leaves and nothing else, as if they're exhausted from the effort.

What do I need to do to turn them into big mounds of basilly gloriousness?

I would pot them on into separate pots. Make sure they get quite a bit of water but water from beneath not the top.
    AKA Angie

Comment

I don't bother with seeds. I buy a growing plant from the supermarket use what leaves I need then split the plant into 3 and pot up into 5" pots and grow on a windowsill (preferably in or close to the kitchen). They last all year.
      Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

I struggle with basil too.
        It does like to be warm, so maybe sow some more now it's warming up a bit?
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Perhaps the answer is in one of the other threads - like you've set the seeds a bit early, according to one of the bestest articles I've ever read on growing basil (the advice in the article works for me) leave it until late April/May to set the seeds outside and don't force them, they don't like it.
          TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

I do like your title, it gave me a grin. I am surprised to find myself with a pot of healthy sprouting basil, from seed that went of of date in 2007 too! Admittedly, I did sow rather heavily, with the plan to separate it later, but still it all seems to be growing. I will tell you the "secrets" to my success so far.

I filled a paper coffee cup with No1 compost, wet it slightly, sprinkled on seed and then a very light covering of compost. This coffee cup has holes punched in the bottom and it sits in another coffee cup. Between the two coffee cups is a small piece of regular household sponge. It acts as both a buffer to prevent the top cup from sitting in the water and also as a reservoir to allow the soil to pull up more water if necessary. Then, because everything says basil likes heat from below, I sat it then overnight on our radiator. In fact, it more or less sat on the radiator for 5 days straight; I think I may have pulled it off once and put it in the sunny kitchen windowsill.

I sowed the seeds in the evening of March 31st and they had germinated by April 5th. I've attached a picture so you can see. I was impressed to have them germinate so quickly and so I'm rather proud of them. I've just watered them in the picture, so they might look a bit sticky.

My plan now is to move them to the windowsill during the day for light and back to the radiator in the evening for warmth. I'll let you know how it goes...
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Growem; 07-04-2009, 12:57 PM.

Comment

I sow mine in 2" pots in the heated propagator. Take lid off when they have sprouted to about 1" high and then leave them in the propagator until they get bigger about 3" and then pot on. I allow the compost to dry out and then place them in a dish of water to have a drink and then put them back in the propagator. I'll leave them on there until they are established after being repotted and then pop onto the kitchen windowsill. Btw - I try to sow 3/4 seeds to a pot and grow it year round
              Last edited by MrsC; 07-04-2009, 04:01 PM.

Comment

mine is doing the same - the other herbs I sowed all have quite a few true leaves, even though they are inside in conservatory, guessing its still too cold for them
                Elsie

Comment

Well, since I told mine that they've been named and shamed on the interweb they seem to be putting a bit more effort into growing - 3 leaves each now!

I've sown some more too, and will follow your tips (thanks all). Now I just need to get meself a buffalo for homegrown tomato, mozarella and basil salad this summer

Comment

i've used those wee peat pellet thingies that you soak with warm water and then sowed a few seeds per pellet. they all germinated and are doing well on a sunny windowsill. i bring them in at night and leave them beside the radiator

Comment

Originally posted by Sweepster
                      Now I just need to get meself a buffalo for homegrown tomato, mozarella and basil salad this summer
                      Maybe you could call your Buffalo "Bernard"? - Or Dave? Dave's a good name for a buffalo.
                      Last edited by zazen999; 09-04-2009, 06:56 PM.
                      When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

Originally posted by Creemteez View Post
                        Maybe you could call your Buffalo "Bernard"? - Or Dave? Dave's a good name for a buffalo.
                        Now don't be starting THAT again. It is an incontrovertible fact that all buffalo are called Glenys.

*shakes head sadly at prevailing ignorance on subject of names of things*

Comment

Originally posted by Sweepster View Post
                          Now don't be starting THAT again. It is an incontrovertible fact that all buffalo are called Glenys.

*shakes head sadly at prevailing ignorance on subject of names of things*
                          Had a cat called "Dave" once. SHE was furious!
                          When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X