Swiss Chard and Spaghetti squash

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swiss Chard and Spaghetti squash

I have just had my delivery of seeds and I have just noticed that the Spaghetti Squash is NOT an F1 seed which I had thought it would be. The variety is 'Hasta la Pasta'. If I am careful with pollination of at least one of the squashes (plastic bag a female and male flower before they open and then manually pollinate, rebag until flower dies), will I get true seeds? I know I'm unlikely to with F1s, but if it's not an F1 is it always a stable variety?

And Swiss Chard - Have never even tried it before and bought some seeds as a curiosity. The variety I bought is Bright Lights (also not an F1) which is a mix of colours. How does Swiss chard go to seed? Tried googling, and all I have found is that it is less likely to bolt (go to seed) than spinach, so am I correct in assuming it will eventually go to seed? If I get seeds from a few different chards, will the seeds be an assorted mix or is there a stronger colour which will dominate next time?

Originally posted by faerieprincess View Post
    I have just had my delivery of seeds and I have just noticed that the Spaghetti Squash is NOT an F1 seed which I had thought it would be. The variety is 'Hasta la Pasta'. If I am careful with pollination of at least one of the squashes (plastic bag a female and male flower before they open and then manually pollinate, rebag until flower dies), will I get true seeds? I know I'm unlikely to with F1s, but if it's not an F1 is it always a stable variety?
    If it's not an F1, it should breed true. However T&M's website says this is an F1 variety - where did you get yours?

Originally posted by faerieprincess View Post
    And Swiss Chard - Have never even tried it before and bought some seeds as a curiosity. The variety I bought is Bright Lights (also not an F1) which is a mix of colours. How does Swiss chard go to seed? Tried googling, and all I have found is that it is less likely to bolt (go to seed) than spinach, so am I correct in assuming it will eventually go to seed? If I get seeds from a few different chards, will the seeds be an assorted mix or is there a stronger colour which will dominate next time?
    Chard gets quite big - eventually it will grow a tall spire of green flowers, but if you nip them out when they are small, it will carry on producing leaves for a while. Here's a helpful photo I found via Google:

chard-bolting-1.JPG on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I have no idea about whether 'Bright Lights' breeds true - I tried Googling for it but got nowhere. Maybe someone who has tried it could help? I'll try to remember to have a look in the seed-saving book I got from Real Seeds when I get home...
    Last edited by Eyren; 30-03-2009, 02:36 PM.

Comment

hi there

to be honest saving seed sounds like a lot of hard work imo. swiss chard seed is cheap to buy and although not cheap (1.99 for 8 seeds t&m) you would only need 1 or two plants per season of squash.
      above the clouds the sun is shining and the sky is blue. if you look hard enough you can just about see it!

Comment

Saving seed isn't hard work - I love doing it. As to chard, its seeds are in a little multi-seed capsule, rather woody or corky looking. When you sow them you get a cluster of tiny plants close together. If can't see why it wouldn't come true. I expect the red ones come red, the yellow ones yellow etc. Not that I know - I'm trying Bright Lights for the first time this year - I usually grow the green chard.
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by greendean View Post
          hi there

to be honest saving seed sounds like a lot of hard work imo. swiss chard seed is cheap to buy and although not cheap (1.99 for 8 seeds t&m) you would only need 1 or two plants per season of squash.
          Depends on your definition of hard work

Seed-saving can be fun, and it's the way a lot of heritage varieties have been preserved. So far I've only saved seed from self-pollinating veg like peas - they pretty much do the job for you if you just leave a few pods to mature and dry out instead of picking them fresh.

I haven't got as far as saving squash seed, though, as I'm still trying different varieties to see which grows best on my plot. A packet of squash seed will last for a good three years unless you grow an awful lot of squash!

Comment

Originally posted by Eyren View Post
            If it's not an F1, it should breed true. However T&M's website says this is an F1 variety - where did you get yours?

From T&M! I thought that's what the website said, but the seedpacket doesn't have F1 on it anywhere!!!

Originally posted by Eyren View Post
            I have no idea about whether 'Bright Lights' breeds true - I tried Googling for it but got nowhere. Maybe someone who has tried it could help? I'll try to remember to have a look in the seed-saving book I got from Real Seeds when I get home...
            Please do!!

Originally posted by greendean View Post
            hi there

Well yes, that's true. BUT..... doesn't mean I don't want to try!!!! I'd just like a little heads up to see if it might or might not work, and what I could do to get it to work

Comment

sorry no offence meant.

what i was trying to say is all it sounds very complicated trying not to cross polinate etc. seemed like a lot of worry and questions

i save the seeds for all my flowers, perennials and annuals every year and look forward to the resulting changes in character and colours.

i am all for saving seeds

i will go and plant myself and see what grows.
              Last edited by greendean; 30-03-2009, 02:54 PM.
              above the clouds the sun is shining and the sky is blue. if you look hard enough you can just about see it!

Comment

I've been really chuffed with my Swiss Chard (Bright Lights). Ate tonnes of it all last summer and when I (accidentally) forgot to take it out in autumn it died down but has resprouted beautifully and has been the first veg we've had on the allotment this year. I wouldn't be surprised if it runs to seed fairly soon though as it's been in so long. I'll keep you posted

Comment

Originally posted by Pootle View Post
                  I've been really chuffed with my Swiss Chard (Bright Lights). Ate tonnes of it all last summer and when I (accidentally) forgot to take it out in autumn it died down but has resprouted beautifully and has been the first veg we've had on the allotment this year. I wouldn't be surprised if it runs to seed fairly soon though as it's been in so long. I'll keep you posted
                  Oooh, please do.

Actually, I have now found something on the International Seed Savers website which says "Grow seed for only one variety of beet or Swiss chard at any one time" and "Beets and Swiss chard produce perfect flowers. Pollen is light and can be carried for miles by the wind."

I'm guessing that you (and therefore me next year!) will still get multicoloured, but you might get an imbalance of one colour.

Comment

Just found another website that says Hasta la Pasta will either be sterile or not have a true seed. I wonder why the actual packet doesn't say F1 on it? Got all hopeful for nothing.....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X