Garden centre tomatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garden centre tomatoes

We all know don't we? We all know to keep out tomatoes inside until the last frost, I know zazen and few others put theirs in the unheated greenhouse around christmas time, but most of us put them out around the beginning of May, don't we?

We don't leave them outside in cold weather, keep them away from cold winds...... don't we?

Because we know what will happen, right?

So, HOW COME THE GARDEN CENTRES JUST LEAVE THEM OUTSIDE, WITH ONLY AN AWNING TO COVER THEM?

I was at a GC yesterday, the tomato plants looked green and lush, like they had just come out of a greenhouse, yet they were there in the full freezing wind, right on the edge of the awning.
    What's going on?
    "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Originally posted by womble View Post
    We all know don't we? We all know to keep out tomatoes inside until the last frost, I know zazen and few others put theirs in the unheated greenhouse around christmas time, but most of us put them out around the beginning of May, don't we?

We don't leave them outside in cold weather, keep them away from cold winds...... don't we?

So, HOW COME THE GARDEN CENTRES JUST LEAVE THEM OUTSIDE, WITH ONLY AN AWNING TO COVER THEM?

I was at a GC yesterday, the tomato plants looked green and lush, like they had just come out of a greenhouse, yet they were there in the full freezing wind, right on the edge of the awning.
    What's going on?
    Mine are indoors.....don't have a greenhouse yet.

Only in heated greenhouses at the mo I think...

I have no idea what they do with them at night...what you need is Tony F with some answers.

Comment

They are all on trolleys with wheels, and they get wheeled indoors to fill up the aisles once the garden centre/DIY store is closing, then wheeled back out in the morning. It's quite good really because the hardening up process has been started for you

(I worked in Focus for a few years )

Comment

There you go!

Nice one Sarz.

I hope they have labels on them though, saying that they are not frost hardy!!!

Comment

Thanks Sarz, I didn't think they did tbh, because they weren't on wheels as far as I could see, but I reckon you must be right.
          Thats cleared up then
          "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

I saw some at a very well known garden centre yesterday, and they were looking pretty ill to tell the truth. I wouldn't have touched them, but obviously a lot of people were. The runner beans were there too , The labels did say to keep out of frost though, but I wonder how many newbies realise just how long there is to go still .
            I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
            Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

I took a chance last night and left some of my tomato seedlings in the cold greenhouse last night. It got down to minus 4 apparently and there was a heavy frost with ice on the water barrels..............but surprisingly and happily, the tomatoes look no worse for the cold spell!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post

What's going on?
                sadly Its because most people that work at the large Garden centres Dont know the 1st thing about flowers/veg Have to say my wyvale here have 1 person that seems to knows alot yet that same person didnt know what tansys existed!! noone at any of the large GC did lol . Ended up getting my seeds from the organic veg farm i work at now .
                Blog

Hythe kent allotments

Comment

You're lucky Snadger. 17 miles down the road and I have 5 looking like someone has taken a blowlamp to them and that was in a heated greenhouse and the temp went down to 1.7
                  http://norm-foodforthought.blogspot.com/

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and if you ain't going to eat it, don't kill it

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                    I have no idea what they do with them at night...what you need is Tony F with some answers.
                    SarazWiz has just got it in one. Most of the stores will be wheeling them into their conservatories if they have one, regardless of how hot they are.

Even here we have garden centres selling the forced toms and other salad veggies now. But the savvy gardeners - ie the old buggers and farmers who no longer raise their own - wait until the plant frairs towards the end of April, buy there and then plant out after around 15 May, when all frosts are, by tradition, deemed to have passed.

Problem is that the bricosheds etc encourage you to buy them early, too early, quite often pandering to the 'must have and grow now, why haven't they sprouted yet, I set the seed 3 days ago' brigade.
                    TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Originally posted by TonyF View Post
                      Problem is that the bricosheds etc encourage you to buy them early, too early, quite often pandering to the 'must have and grow now, why haven't they sprouted yet, I set the seed 3 days ago' brigade.
                      So you know me then..... Though I don't actually need to buy Tomato plants as I lost the plot completely in February and planted a whole packet of four different varieties! They've ALL come up and last count I had 95 plants
                      Window sill space is at a premium in my house. If you're not green, two inches high and in three inch pot, you don't get near a window!
                      When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

I was at a GC today (one I normally like going to because the staff do know something about gardening) and saw cucumber plants in pots. They were pretty big too, they would have needed putting in the ground ASAP! - only it's weeks until the risk of frost is passed. I don't normally notice these things but even I felt the need to tut out loud lol
                        Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

I think it's too cold in surrey for toms in unheated greenhouses. I left some of my Jan seedlings in the poly tunnel under fleece at the start of the week and now two nights of -2 and they look awful. I've brought them back indoors for now, I'm jyust going to have to hold my horses. (16 plants germinating for my ferline f2 gen, 5 Ildi, 5 falcarossom, 3 roma, 2 black cherry, 2 pigwiglet french black cherry and 2 super soux. how i wish that i had more window space!
                          www.myspace.com/alexfcooke
                          www.outofthecool.com
                          http://polytunneldiaries.blogspot.com/

Comment

My toms are in my plastic greenhouses doing fine, mind you I dont open them up unless its really hot, then I only open for a short time.
                            Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                            and ends with backache

Comment

All the greenhouse stuff was still inside in my local GC but the runner bean plants were outside. Could not believe the cost of them 6 lettuce plants £1:99 as an example.

Ian

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X