Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby beetroot

Hi

Had a quick google but didn't see anything so apologise if it's a daft question but I was thinking how to use the free beetroot boltardy seeds we got but we don't really like beetroot too much but don't mind baby beets, is this variety suitable to pick early as a baby beetroot?

They're fine to pick whatever size you want, you can also eat the leaves too.
    If you've never had fresh beetroot (just pickled )the taste is very different!

Comment

Thanks Vicky, I'll give them a go then (and will remember to try the leaves)

Comment

Not sure what to do with fresh beetroot, never had it. any tips?
        WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

I cook a batch in the oven and eat maybe 1 or 2 with meals, hot or cold.

Hot just peeled and eaten as is, usually with the rest of the roasted veg I've done.

Cold, I'm a great fan of kidney beans and salsa. So make up a nice red salad dish, as I like contrasting colours on my plate.

However I plant loads and bake loads, peeled and popped in the blender with apple juice. It's a lovely drink and I'd be happy to have it most days. The apple juice adds the sweetness, any carton of apple you like or have handy. Of course you can buy beetroot drink now in the shops, or at least last year I saw it advertised as the new healthy drink.

I'm also a great fan of humous, so tried that via a recipe on the internet. Tasted ok, but I think I like my humous just as is. If you type in beetroot recipes loads will come up.

Comment

Up until recently i had only tried it pickled.
            I had some "over wintered "ones and had them raw (after peeling) and they were delicous.
            My wife agreed so i now have to find space to plant them when i was'nt going to bother this year.

Comment

I do them all the above ways and make beetroot and orange soup. it's delicious.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                I do them all the above ways and make beetroot and orange soup. it's delicious.
                Oooh Alice have you got a recipe for that?
                AKA Angie

Comment

I have a variety called Solist, which I haven't tried yet, that purports to be good for baby beets. You only get one plant per seed too, not the normal cluster.
                  Last edited by pdblake; 12-03-2009, 04:30 PM.
                  Urban Escape Blog

Comment

Try mixing in cakes, like you might carrot or slice thinly and deep fry as crisps. beautiful!
                    Owning a garden doesn't make you a gardener any more than owning a garage makes you a car.

Comment

I am guessing we use the leaves as salad leaves? not cooked?

Regards
                      pat
                      "Did you ever walk in a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives."

Comment

My beetroot salad is lovely.

Boil beets until you can stick a knife through - cool and deskin.

Chop. Add cumin and mayo. Mix & serve

Especially nice with felafel, rice and halloumi.

Comment

Daft question, but is beetroot easy to peel? When they are small (like smaller than a golfball) can you leave the skin on or do you still have to peel them?

Comment

Originally posted by Crundy View Post
                            Daft question, but is beetroot easy to peel? When they are small (like smaller than a golfball) can you leave the skin on or do you still have to peel them?
                            Easy peazy once cooked and cooled

Pat
                            "Did you ever walk in a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives."

Comment

Originally posted by chocobed View Post
                              Try mixing in cakes, like you might carrot or slice thinly and deep fry as crisps. beautiful!
                              I've not used them raw as yet, as I was thinking they would bleed everywhere and would be hard to cut into. Whereas cooked they are very easy to use.

So I presume you use a food processor for the slicing etc. But do you need to wear gloves to peel before adding to processor? Are they hard to chop? As in I find swede and stuff hard work, but at least I don't have to worry about staining. How tough is the skin to peel when raw?

I did wonder if I could make the juice with raw beetroot, but felt they were too tough for the blender or processor raw. But I like the idea of beetroot crisps, if they can be sliced via the processor.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X