Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Swiss Chard Questions!

Hi there,

Barely a month seems to go by without me having a swiss chard related question!

I've been really pleased that my Swiss Chard didn't die back in the autumn (as I'd expected - evidently wrongly!) and has kept going all winter. I'm wondering how long it lasts for - should I expect another year out of it?

Also, I have plans for the small raised bed it's in, but have room elsewhere - can it be moved to another location?

Any ideas and tips appreciated!

Thanks
    Rob

In my experience chard often has another flush of growth in the spring. After that the new chard takes over and I remove the old ones. It gets a bit ratty and tough otherwise. Not sure about moving it. It's got 2 chances though!
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks for the info! I guess I'll leave them in until they start to flag then.

Rob

Comment

Moved mine last autumn as I needed to re-jig the beds. It was quite happy, and went on until it started to bolt in late Spring - at which time I needed the space for something else anyway so no loss there.

I've got some 'Bright Lights' in the tunnel at the moment for winter leaves, and might move some outside in Spring.
        Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

As the others have said ... it is hardy, but will bolt in springtime (it's biennial ... grows in year one, flowers in year two)
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X