Rhubarb

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhubarb

Apologies if this has been asked, I did do a quick search...

I nicked some rhubarb form my nan last year late spring. Then I forgot about it.
    I was having a looksie about the patch where I put it this morning cos I thoght it wa dead and long gone.

But it is sort of black on the outside near the ground and has a tiny green shoot coming from the middle.

I am now thinking I have not killed it afterall! yay Am I right in thinking it just dies off for winter?

But what should I do with it? Feed it? With..? Cover it? It doesn't get a lot of sun so I guess it wil be a late starter.

Any help? Thanks

Well- this is very interesting- cos we split our Timperley Early rhubarb in early November and left them in a black bin bag in the barn- until yesterday

I tentatively opened the bag expecting mush...and there were two little yellow buds growing from their crowns!

We've planted them ( well I pointed etc etc...twas hard work I can tell ye!) with their crowns just above soil level so they don't rot- and bunged in a pile of well rotted compost into the hole- and around the crown.
    I've never been able to kill off rhubarb- so......

well found!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

hi janeyo thats right,it dies of right back into the ground for winter,perhaps a good idea to mark it's whereabouts,in late autumn,must remember that 1 myself lol,then in the spring sends up new fresh shuts,am sure have heard of people putting on manure,to give it umph,but not sure at what stage of new growth,and would imagine it to be well rotted stuff,i will watch this space.
      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

I was actually feeling quite proud of myself thinking I had KILLED the unkillable... but maybe not!

I do think I may have killed off the horseradish though lol

Comment

Thanks LD, I did have a marker there but either the cat has knocked it out or my son has used it as a sword......

Comment

I do think I may have killed off the horseradish though lol[/QUOTE]

If you've killed the horseradish I think a lot of people would like to know how you did it They have it for weeds and can't get rid of it.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I killed off my horseradish by forgetting it was there and leaving 20 paving slabs over it!!!

Comment

Ah Nicos but if you pulled the slabs up I bet it would regrow!

Comment

Thanks for the tip!!!

Comment

Established rhubarb can be dug up and brought into a warm shed in Jan for forcing (into growth) so you have sticks for pudding as early as late Feb/early March.

Surplus crowns can be left out on the ground for the frost to freeze it before replanting when the ground isn't frozen solid in March.
                    If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

If you put an upturned bucket over it, and put a brick on it to keep it place, you can force the rhubarb and have a crop as early as March.
                      Or, just wait and it will come up on its own soon enough.
                      My mind works like lightning, One brilliant flash and it is gone!

Comment

has anyone got the 'champagne' variety? Is meant to be sweet.

Comment

i find the champagne variety carp...go for victoria or timperley early
                          Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

At the foot of our new allotment, we've spotted some little red and yellow stubs that looks an awful lot like a rhubarb patch! I love a bit of rhubarb crumble so great, but never grown it before. Can't really remember what my father used to do with his. I don't know variety either. Do I have to cover it or will it grow happily without being fussed over do you think?
                            I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Rhona it will grow. Pretty indestructable plant rhubarb. You can leave it and it will grow. I cover it in manure once its all died back and it grows. It just grows.
                              I agree with Allotmentlady, I wasnt impressed with Champagne. Timperley is the one for me.
                              Bob Leponge
                              Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X